Homemade Ranch Dressing tastes tangy and savory and pairs well with so many dishes! And this recipe will ensure that you make it fresh every time you need it!
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Ranch Dressing is versatile as you can incorporate it in just about anything. So, I always have it at home whenever cravings hit. But knowing this recipe is much better!
I don’t have to run to the store to buy one. I can easily whip this up using just a few basic ingredients that I already have.
And having it in my repertoire just offers a lot more flexibility in how I add flavors to dishes. And did I say that I love how it tastes? I just find it so creamy, tangy, and garlicky!
The herbs and fresh citrus flavor make it so refreshing. I don’t mind how the store-bought ones taste like, but this homemade version just takes the flavors a step higher!
Use it as a dip, incorporate in savory dishes, and use it in your favorite salads. Adjust the taste if you want more of a certain flavor, and that’s one advantage of being able to make this on your own.
What is in ranch dressing?
- base: mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, buttermilk
- citrus: fresh lemon juice
- aromatics: garlic, onion powder
- herbs: fresh dill, parsley, and green onions as garnish
- seasonings: salt, pepper
How to make ranch dressing?
All you need to do is mix everything in a bowl. Then, use it immediately or place it in an airtight container like a jar and refrigerate for later.
Ways to use ranch dressing:
The classic way is to use it in salads. Use it in these recipes:
Or, use it as a spread in wraps or sandwiches or to add flavor in the following recipes:
This is also an incredible marinade for:
Dip these favorites in it:
Or, use it as an alternative ingredient in these recipes:
Can you store ranch dressing?
Yes! You can store it in an airtight jar and refrigerate. Use it within the week.
But at home, it rarely lasts for a few days because we use it so often! Good thing, I can easily make another batch!
Can you freeze it?
Unfortunately, it is in my do-not-freeze list as it is mostly mayonnaise and dairy that do not thaw well. The curd tends to separate making the whole thing undesirable.
Remember that you can always easily make a new batch since this recipe is so easy. So, I recommend that you just do that and not freeze it.
More delicious dressings:
Here are some of my recipes for homemade dressings that are equally tasty and easy to prepare! Try them out!
- If you don’t have a lemon, you can use plain white vinegar just to add that tang you are looking for.
- Add Dijon or dry mustard to add another dimension to the flavor profile.
- Using whole milk makes it even creamier than just using regular milk.
- While you can use it immediately, it tastes even better once chilled in the fridge for a few hours. This allows the flavors to meld together.
- You can add it in scrambled eggs, combine in mashed potatoes, or top your pizza and baked potatoes with it! If you have more suggestions on how to use this versatile recipe, let me know in the comments below!
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl, transfer to a jar, close and refrigerate.
- Serve as needed, if you want, garnish it with green onions or chives.