Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat is the chain’s classic, famous, creamy soup that will warm your soul and make your taste buds happy.
Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup is what I order 90% of the time when I eat at Panera Bread. We even have a family tradition, everytime we do a road trip, we always check the map and plan to stop for a bite at Panera Bread. I was all smiles when a location opened two blocks from my house and now I love to take my son there for after school dinner dates. He gets his usual Chicken Noodle Soup or Mac’n’Cheese, with an apple and organic yogurt, and I get the tomato soup most of the time. This Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat tastes just like the original! Soul warming, flavorful and so creamy, you will make it home over and over again!
Tips and tricks to make perfect Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat Recipe:
- Use good tomatoes! I can’t stress this enough, San Marzano tomatoes are the most flavorful and sweet, perfect for this recipe. You can find canned San Marzano tomatoes in almost every grocer store.
- Originally the soup is made with vegetable stock, for more flavor you can use chicken stock, but the soup won’t be vegetarian.
- Dried oregano and basil add flavor to the soup, don’t skip these. Even better if you have some fresh basil on hand to garnish the soup right before serving.
- You can skip the sugar, but for that Panera Bread taste you need to add some, it brings the sweetness in the tomatoes and makes the soup better.
- Since this is a homemade version, you can play with it, add more or less garlic and if you want, some red pepper flakes for some heat.
Looking for more creamy soups recipes? Check these out:
- Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Bacon
- Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Salmon Soup
Here is a steb-by-step video of the Panera Creamy Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat Recipe:
PANERA BREAD CREAMY TOMATO SOUP COPYCAT
Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat is the chain's classic, famous, creamy soup that will warm your soul and make your taste buds happy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 28 oz cans San Marzano peeled tomatoes crushed or blended
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add diced onion and garlic. Cook, stirring as needed, until onion is translucent - about 5-8 minutes.
Add the San Marzano peeled tomatoes, including the juice, vegetable stock, dried oregano, dried basil and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, for 12 minutes or until it has thickened. Stir occasionally.
Add the half and half or heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Using an immersion blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender), puree soup until there are no large chunks left.
Serve immediately garnished with croutons and french bread on the side.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months.
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.