Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup [VIDEO]
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is creamy and comforting, budget-friendly and also very easy to make! Perfect for a weeknight meal.
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
This Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is my type of comfort food. My grandmother makes a similar soup on the stove top and it used to be my favorite food as a child. Every time I visit her, I always ask for the famous soup.
Now, this Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is very easy to make, the slow cooker does the heavy lifting, all you have to do is patiently wait. The soup is incredibly creamy, with delicious bacon bits and creamy cheddar cheese thru it. Serve it top with cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream, just like you would eat a baked potato.
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup recipe tips:
- I prefer to use Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe, for their buttery texture to make the soup irresistibly creamy.
- Use fresh garlic as the jarred garlic will not give the same flavor.
- To save time, you can buy peeled potatoes, that you can just add to the slow cooker.
- You can either cook the bacon prior to starting the soup, by frying it or roasting it in the oven, whatever method you prefer. Also, you can use pre-cooked bacon to save time and cut down on the effort.
- You can use evaporated canned milk, or for even a richer texture, you can use half and half or heavy cream.
- The soup can be easily made vegetarian if you skip the bacon and use vegetable stock.
Follow Sweet and Savory Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Pin This Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Recipe to your Favorite Board
Can I substitute the broth to make this Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup?
Absolutely! You can use vegetable broth or beef broth, instead of chicken broth. Both will work just fine for this recipe.
Can you freeze Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup?
You can freeze the soup if you want, but you should do that BEFORE you add the cream or evaporated milk. I recommend using quart bags for this soup. Use a cup to transfer the soup from the pot into the bag. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bags. The bags can nicely be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you decide to serve it, thaw, add it back to the slow cooker, or to a large pot on the stove pot and mix in the milk mixture, cheese and sour cream.
Looking for more Soup Recipes? Check these Panera Bread Soup Copycats:
Tools & Ingredients You Will Need To Make This Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Recipe:
- Slow Cooker – I love this slow cooker, while it’s more expensive, you can brown the food directly into it, so that saves you time.
- Potato Masher – the kitchen tool that should be in each’s one kitchen drawer! I like this one a lot.
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Recipe Video:
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is creamy and comforting, budget friendly and also very easy to make! Perfect for a weeknight meal.
- 10 slices cooked bacon diced
- 5 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced, use more if you want
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 oz evaporated milk half and half or heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooked bacon
- Chopped green onions
Add diced potatoes, diced onion, minced garlic, cooked bacon, dried parsley and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir and cook for 6-8 hours on low or on high for 3-4 hours.
Once the soup has cooked, add butter to a medium sauce pan over medium heat and melt. Whisk in the flour until completely combined and gradually add in the evaporated milk or heavy cream, depending on which one you are using.
Whisk well the flour mixture, until smooth. With the heat on the lowest stove setting, let the mixture cook until it starts to simmer and is getting thicker, stir occasionally.
Immediately add the milk-flour mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
If you don't want to make the Roux Mixture, you can make a Cornstarch Mixture to thicken the soup. Just make sure you choose one and don't make both.
Combine cornstarch and evaporated milk in a medium bowl. Whisk until cornstarch is fully dissolved and the mixture is smooth with no clumps. Immediately add the milk-cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Using a potato masher, mash about 3/4 of the potatoes. If you have time, let the soup cook for another 30 minutes for it to thicken.
Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Stir well, until fully combined and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
If the soup is too thick, add more WARM chicken broth or water, make sure you first heat it up in the microwave until its hot. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Cover and continue cooking the soup on low for 30 minutes or on high for 15 minutes. If you added more liquid, make sure to let the soup simmer for a few minutes.
Serve warm, garnished with bacon, cheese, green onions and sour cream.
- The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
The soup will thicken more once it cools. When heating it up, add more water, broth or milk to dilute it. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper and if you added the extra liquid, bring it to a light simmer for a few minutes.
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.