Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup [video]
Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup is ultra-creamy, rich, and flavorful. It cooks all day and is one of the best family soups you can make in the slow cooker! Watch the recipe video tutorial below and see why this is one of the best soups out there!
We love delicious and comfortable soups, and this recipe is one of the best! For more comforting soup recipes, check out this crock pot cheeseburger soup, taco soup, and homemade chicken noodle soup.
Easy Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
This CrockPot Cheesy Potato Soup is very easy to make and tastes amazingly delicious. If you love potatoes and cheesy, then this delicious dinner is really a no-brainer!
The potatoes cook pretty much all day in the slow cooker in a delicious and creamy broth! It is our favorite soup to make for rainy days, or during the winter months.
This creamy soup is the perfect comfort food loaded with potatoes, cheese, and bacon. Who does not like that?! The pound of cheddar cheese in this dish pretty much means it tastes perfect. It has a creamy texture, with rich flavors, and is topped with crispy bacon!
Also, if cheddar cheese is not your favorite use Velveeta cheese instead. We’ve tried many variations of this recipe and ended up with what we believe is one of the best possible outcomes.
This recipe does not ask for much. Simply, follow the recipe steps closely and you will end up with a hearty and flavorful meal. Just dump everything in the slow cooker and in a couple of hours, you will have a delicious homemade meal for the whole family to enjoy!
- Fresh Potatoes: I love using russet or Yukon gold potatoes. However, feel free to use whatever is available. Red potatoes, brown potatoes, etc. Also, you could use frozen potatoes here, but I prefer to go with fresh spuds.
- Vegetables: To add more flavor, I use a sweet onion, garlic, and fresh celery.
- Seasoning: Mustard powder, dried thyme, parsley, salt, and black pepper.
- Butter, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and cream: This adds a rich and creamy texture to it. So, do not hesitate to use extra cream and cheese for an ultra-buttery taste!
- Chicken stock or vegetable broth
- Cornstarch: It helps thicken the soup up.
- Bacon and chopped green onions: To garnish.
How to make crockpot cheesy potato soup?
This is one of the easiest meals you can prepare in the slow cooker. For detailed steps, watch the quick recipe video tutorial attached. But the general steps are as follows:
- Start by combining potatoes, chicken broth, celery, corn, onion, garlic salt, and pepper in the crockpot.
- Then, cover and cook on HIGH setting for 4 hours or LOW setting for 6-8 hours.
- Next, using a potato masher, mash the ingredients till desired consistency. Then, add heavy cream, cream cheese, and stir until well blended.
- Lastly, add the shredded cheese, and heat until the cheese melts.
- Serve a hot bowl of soup topped with slices of bacon, green onions, and more shredded cheddar cheese.
Best potatoes to use:
As stated above I love using starchy and waxy potatoes because they stand up well in soup. Therefore, go with Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold.
Instant Pot Version:
Alternatively, you can make this delicious comfort soup in the pressure cooker. This will save you plenty of time and is a great option during busy weekdays.
Here is the Instant Pot Potato Soup version.
- We love serving it topped with sour cream, bacon, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or Velveeta cubes.
- Similarly, you can add some fresh chopped green onions or croutons, or crackers. But it’s certainly good without anything added!
- Also, feel free to add some chopped ham and turn it into slow cooker cheesy ham and potato soup. This would make for a cozy soup and perfect during a cold winter day!
- Hash browns
- Chopped jalapeno peppers
How to thicken crockpot cheesy potato soup?
The easiest and best way to thicken it is by adding some cornstarch. Just whisk it into some milk to the hot soup and cook for 15-30 minutes. In addition, if you add extra cheese, it will make become extra thick and creamy, so use your discretion here.
Another way to thicken it would be to use a blender and blend part of the soup with an immersion blender. Just make sure not to blend all the potatoes as you want to have some left in the dish.
More delicious crockpot recipes:
How to store leftovers?
Prior to storing, let the dish completely cool at room temperature. Then, transfer it to an airtight container, and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze it?
You can freeze it but we do not recommend it. Because it has milk and cheese in it, when frozen it won’t hold up well. It will take on a grainy texture and separate when defrosted and rewarmed.
However, if you still wish to freeze it, we recommend doing so without the milk and cheese in it. You will have to freeze the base soup without the milk and cheese and add those later during reheating. Use a freezer bag and freeze it for up to 3 months.
- We prefer to use Russet or Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe because they have a buttery texture and makes this dish super creamy. Also, they hold well during the cooking process.
- For extra flavor, we recommend sauteing the onions, garlic, and celery before adding them to the slow cooker. However, if you are short of time, just add them to the slow cooker and skip this step.
- Similarly, is best to use fresh minced garlic instead of a powdered version.
- Bacon can be cooked prior to starting the dish, either by frying it or roasting it in the oven, whatever method you prefer. Also, you can use pre-cooked bacon to save time and cut down on effort.
- In addition, remember that dairy products are added at the end of the cooking process. This is done to prevent curdling and avoid a lumpy texture.
Tools used to make this recipe
- Slow Cooker – Love this one and we use it a lot when cooking.
- Bowls – You can use whichever you like, but these are pretty nice and inexpensive.
Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 medium sweet onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 4 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded )
- salt and pepper
- Sour Cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooked bacon
- Chopped green onions
- Add diced potatoes, diced onion, minced garlic, thyme, parsley, butter, mustard powder, and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir, then cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low or on high for 3-4 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, whisk cornstarch and cream together. Add sour cream. Stir into soup. Cook for 15-30 minutes or until thickened. Puree or mash part of the soup if you want a creamier texture. If needed add more cream or milk.
- Stir in cheese until well melted. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with sour cream, more cheese, and cooked, crumbled bacon.
CommentsLeave a reply