Best Taco Soup Recipe – One Pot
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Taco Soup recipe made easily in one pot is hearty, delicious and full of flavor. Made with affordable and easy to find ingredients for the ultimate meal!
Soups are very popular on our blog, like Best Instant Pot Chili, Italian Meatball Soup and Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup. We especially like easy soups that can be made in one pot, they are perfect for busy weeknights, and also the leftovers are delicious. If you have an Instant Pot, you should check my Instant Pot Taco Soup.
Taco Soup Recipe
Taco Soup is one of the most amazing and flavorful soups you can make. This soup is so hearty and delicious, yet easy to make. It is a cheap alternative to the best restaurant Taco Soup you can find, but conveniently made at home.
Also, it is made with healthy ingredients in only one pot, making it a perfect weeknight meal. The soup is made with a variety of tomatoes, beans, sweet corn, black olives and taco seasoning. It has the texture of a chili with the flavors of a great taco bowl. You can even serve this soup over a bowl of rice!
Tips to Make The Best Taco Soup Recipe:
- First, try using a variety of tomatoes (paste, sauce, crushed etc) is what will give the soup an amazing flavor and texture.
- Also, use high quality canned tomatoes, I like San Marzano canned tomatoes when I can get my hand on some.
- Use fresh garlic as the jarred garlic or garlic powder will not add the same flavor.
- Adding different types of beans is also key, as they have different texture and taste. However, if you only have one type of beans on hand, you can use that only.
- In addition, using chicken broth is optional. If you prefer the soup extra thick, like a chili, you can skip the broth. I would say, since this is the last ingredient, you can decide at the end if you want to add it. The tomatoes will also release some liquid once simmered.
- The Worcestershire sauce is optional, you can skip it if you don’t have any on hand, but it is added to enhance the beef flavor.
- I suggest using green and red bell peppers, but you can use the once you have on hand.
- Ranch seasoning is optional. I use it in this soup for extra flavor, but it can be done without it as well.
- Use fresh lime zest as it will add extra freshness to the soup, and it works great with the acidity from the tomatoes.
Follow Sweet and Savory Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Pin This Taco Soup Recipe to your Favorite Board
How do you make Taco Soup?
- In a large Dutch oven medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add the beef and do not stir for about 4-5 minutes, to get a nice sear on it, this will add more flavor to the beef.
- Start breaking it apart with a wooden spoon or spatula and continue cooking until done. Drain excess fat.
- Add onion, peppers and garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped green chiles, Mexican style diced tomatoes, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add black beans, corn, black olives, pinto beans, kidney beans, and lime zest. Stir to combine.
- Add Ranch seasoning, Taco seasoning and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer soup on low heat for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnish with your favorite toppings.
Can I make the Taco Soup in the Slow Cooker?
Yes , you can! Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet and drain the excess fat. Transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
Can I make the Taco Soup in the Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker?
Yes, you can. I have a delicious, easy recipe for you, check this Instant Pot Taco Soup for all the details.
Can I substitute beef with other meats?
Yes. I love making this soup with beef, but if you don’t like beef, ground chicken or turkey will also work for this recipe.
Can I use vegetable broth to make this taco soup?
Absolutely! You can use vegetable broth or beef broth, instead of chicken broth. Both will work just fine for this recipe, always use low sodium broth.
How to make lime zest?
Follow these easy steps below:
- First, rinse the lime.
- Next, set your tool over a cutting board. A microplane produces a very fine zest, perfect for baking and cooking. If you don’t have a microplane, use the smallest holes on an ordinary grater.
- Then, grate the green skin of the lime only. Grate just enough to get through the green skin, this way you can avoid the bitter white pith underneath.
- Rotate the lime and repeat. Once the white pith is exposed, rotate the lime and zest the next strip of peel. Repeat until most of the peel is removed, or until you have enough zest for your recipe.
HOW TO FREEZE TACO SOUP
- Use quart bags to freeze the soup.
- Transfer the soup from the pot into the bags using a cup.
- Squeeze out excess air and seal the bags.
- Lay bags flat in the freezer.
- The bags can nicely be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
HOW TO THAW FROZEN TACO SOUP
To thaw the soup, remove it from the freezer the night before serving, or put the sealed soup bag in a large bowl or casserole dish filled with warm water, to thaw it faster.
Taco Soup Toppings Suggestion:
- Sour Cream
- Cotija Cheese
- Corn Chips
- Corn Bread
- Chopped Black Olives
- Fresh Lime
- Picco de Galo
- Sliced Fresh Jalapeños
Looking for more Soup Recipes? Check these out:
- The Best Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup
- Zuppa Toscana Copycat
- Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Taco Soup Recipe
Taco soup recipe made easily in one pot is hearty, delicious and full of flavor. Made with affordable and easy to find ingredients for the ultimate meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can 4.5 oz diced green chilies
- 1 can 10 oz diced Mexican-style Lime and Cilantro Tomatoes or regular diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste optional
- 1 can 15oz crushed tomatoes
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- 1 can 15.5oz black beans or chili beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can 15.5oz whole kernel corn drained
- 1 can 6oz pitted black olives drained and sliced, optional
- 1 can 15.5oz pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can 15.5oz pink kidney beans rinsed and drained, optional
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 1/2 packet 1oz ranch salad dressing mix optional
- 1 packet 1oz taco seasoning mix
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups chicken broth adjust based on how thick you want the soup
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Sour cream
- Cotija Cheese
- Sliced jalapeños
- Corn Chips
Add oil to a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the beef and do not stir for about 4-5 minutes, so it gets nice and brown, this will add more flavor to the beef.
Start breaking it apart with a wooden spoon or spatula and continue cooking until done. Drain excess fat.
Add onion, peppers and garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the chopped green chiles, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
Add black beans, corn, black olives, pinto beans, kidney beans, lime juice and lime zest. Stir to combine.
Add Ranch seasoning, Taco seasoning and 2 cups of chicken broth. Stir to combine.
Cover and simmer soup on low heat for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the soup is too thick, add more broth until you get it to the desired consistency.
Serve garnished with favorite toppings.
Mexican-style Lime and Cilantro Tomatoes* - you can use any Mexican style diced tomatoes.
Here is a step-by-step video of how to make the Best Taco Soup Recipe:
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.