Homemade Taco Seasoning is easy to prepare, versatile, and more flavorful than the store-bought one! Use it to elevate your favorite Mexican dishes!
I love Mexican food and this seasoning is one of the reasons why. I use it often in taco-inspired recipes such as this dip, pasta, and salad. And since it can be used in a lot of recipes, it is a must know how to make the homemade version!
Taco Seasoning Recipe
Homemade Taco Seasoning is a mixture of spices that are oozing with Mexican flavors. While it is named as such, you can use it not just in tacos, but in a lot of other recipes. And this homemade version is way better than the store-bought packets for three main reasons: it is flavorful, inexpensive, and lower in sodium.
I love spicy food and the heat of this mixture is rich, not just plain hot. There are a lot of spices that go well together even when each of the components is already strong by itself. Mix them and what you get is an explosion of flavors! And this recipe results in a concoction that is more flavorful than the store-bought counterpart.
Also, it is more economical if you make it at home. If you have the individual spices that make up this mix right in your pantry, then, you can make it anytime. There is no need to drive to the nearest grocery store. And you can make a lot of this in an instant, depending on how much your recipe calls for.
Store-bought versions of this seasoning contain ingredients that you do not encounter on a day-to-day basis. As in any processed food, unfamiliar chemicals can be avoided by making your homemade version.
Am I convincing enough? Read on how to make one for yourself and you are in for a surprise!
What is Taco Seasoning made of:
This recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Cumin: gives a warm, earthy, and nutty touches to food; spicy and somewhat bitter
- Smoked Paprika: stronger than the regular kind, gives an outdoorsy peppery taste
- Cayenne Pepper: hotter than chili powder, pungent with an earthy undertone
- Chili Powder: made with ground peppers, commercially available ones are possibly mixed with onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt
- Oregano: aromatic and bitter, also earthy and pungent
How to make Taco Seasoning:
Please watch the recipe video tutorial attached. But all you have to do is to simply combine the ingredients using a fork or a spoon in a bowl. It is that simple!
You can change up the recipe however you want it to taste according to your preference or follow these suggestions:
- Add garlic and onion powder: These are not included in the original recipe because usually, the dishes that this seasoning is used for already contain garlic and onion among the ingredients.
- Add cornstarch: If you will use in saucy food, you can add the cornstarch so that when the water hits, the consistency becomes saucy.
- Spice it up: Add more peppers like the ground black pepper.
How to use Taco Seasoning:
When used for ground beef for use in tacos and whatnots, simply add it as you brown the meat. Use this for chicken, shrimp, or turkey, too.
How to Store:
Put the mixture in an airtight container and store in a cool, dry, and dark place. Consume it within 6 months.
- If you are to put this in a mason jar or any wide-mouthed container, then, there is no need to use a separate bowl. Simply scoop in the ingredients and shake the container well.
- Substitute smoked paprika with regular paprika and cumin.
- Cut back on the cayenne and chili powder if you cannot take the heat or if you will be serving to kids.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 10 mins