Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is hearty and spicy, loaded with your favorite fixings, this easy to make meal is the epitome of comfort food.
Slow Cooker Soups are very easy to make and pure comfort food. They are great if you don’t have much time to spend by the stove. All you have to do is add all the ingredients to the crockpot and let it do its magic. If you love the idea of slow cooker soups, you should definitely check out my other top recipes such as Baked Potato Soup and Creamy Tortellini Soup.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe Tips
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of the most comforting meals you can enjoy. If you have to choose one and only one recipe to make in your slow cooker, this is the one to go for! This soup is incredibly easy to make, you just add all the ingredients to your crockpot and let it slowly simmer to pure perfection.
This is the type of meal that you can add in the morning to the crockpot and you are rewarded with a royal dinner at the end of the day. The soup is hearty and spicy, also healthy, until you start piling it with cheese and sour cream. But let’s be honest, all those fixings are the best part of the soup anyway!
- This soup is spicy! If you prefer less heat, I would recommend cutting down the chili powder in half, and also add only one Chipotle Pepper in Adobo, you can always taste and adjust, but start adding the heat slowly.
- The classic Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is made with oregano, I personally have family members that are not a big fan of it, we used parsley instead.
- Also, use low sodium chicken broth, you don’t want to end up with a salty soup.
- You can shred the chicken less or more, based on your preference.
- In addition, don’t forget to rinse the black beans! Otherwise, the soup color won’t be as pretty!
- If you can stir the soup once or twice during the cooking process it would be great.
- Go crazy with the fixings, the sky is the limit!
- If you want the soup even more liquid, you can add one more cup of broth.
What is Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Classic tortilla soup originally comes from Mexico, which is simply good chicken broth combined with roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, chiles, and tortillas, cut into strips and fried.
How to make the soup thicker?
You can make the soup thicker by combining in a small bowl two tablespoons of cornstarch and water until fully dissolved, and add the mixture to the slow cooker. Let it simmer for another 20 minutes, or until it thickens.
Looking for more tasty soup recipes?
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup
- Best Taco Soup
- Panera Bread Baked Potato Soup Copycat
Can you freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Tomato based soups tend to freeze and thaw the best. Do not store this soup in opened metal cans or containers. Let the soup cool completely before freezing. Transfer into freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. Label with the date, and freeze for up to 3-4 months, or longer if you use a deep freezer.
How do you thaw frozen Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Transfer the frozen soup to your refrigerator the night before you wish to use it to allow it to thaw. Add the soup to a saucepan and reheat it to at least 165 F before you consume it. Microwave it or heat it up in the soup pan.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 8 hours Total time: 8 hrs 20 mins
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder*
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded and chopped)
- 2 whole jalapeño peppers (sliced)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 can 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 can 4 ounces green chiles
- 2-3 whole Chipotle Pepper In Adobo*
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lime (juiced)
- sour cream, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, grated cheese Mexican cheese or cheddar cheese, sliced jalapeños and tortilla chips
- Prepare all the ingredients, by slicing, chopping, opening the cans etc.
- Add the chicken to a 6 quarts slow cooker. Sprinkle with: salt, pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Add the chopped onion, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers and minced garlic.
Add the diced tomatoes with the juice, tomato sauce, tomato paste, green chiles and 1 - 3 chipotle peppers in Asado sauce, depending on how spicy you prefer the soup. Add chicken broth and black beans, stir gently and cover with the lid.
Turn crockpot on and cook on high for 5 hours or for 8 hours on low. I cooked it on low for 8 hours.
- If possible, stir the soup gently once or twice during cooking. Once done, stir in the lime juice. Using 2 forks, break up the chicken into chunks or shred it finely, I prefer the latest.
- Taste and adjust for salt.
- Serve the soup with sour cream, avocado, freshly grated cheese, more jalapeños, tortilla chips and fresh cilantro leaves on top!