Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup (VIDEO)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup is a delightfully easy to make that will warm your soul with Asian flavors. Healthy, nutritious and incredibly delicious.
Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup
Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup is the perfect soup that will warm up your soul and will make your taste buds extremely happy. The soup may take a long time to make on the stove-top. However, with the Instant Pot on hand, you are literally minutes away from a tasty and soul warming meal. I love to order this soup from our local Chinese restaurant, but after making this incredibly easy homemade version, I can’t get enough. The beauty of this Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup is that you add all the ingredients to the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. No dirty dishes, no stirring by the stove-top, just get your favorite magazine and wait for it to cook.
Follow Sweet and Savory Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Pin This Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup Recipe to your Favorite Board
Ingredients needed to make the Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup
- Rice Vinegar – you can use Apple Cider Vinegar as well.
- Dried Shiitake Mushrooms – if you can’t find fresh, these are great in this recipe.
- Bamboo Shoots – easy to find in the Asian isle of most grocery stores.
- Lily Flowers – now they are not listed in my recipe, but they are used in traditional Chinese recipe. You would need about 1/2 of dried Lily flowers if you want to use them in this recipe.
- Garlic Chili Paste – adds amazing depth of flavor to the recipe.
- Sweet Chili Sauce – I like the slight sweetness combined with the heat.
How long does Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup last?
Best to store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Also, the vegetables will start to get mushy if it is kept much longer.
How to freeze Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup?
- First, I recommend using quart bags for this soup. Use a cup to transfer the soup from the pot into the bag. Then, squeeze out excess air and seal the bags. The bags can nicely be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
- Also, to thaw the soup, remove it from freeze the night before serving, or put the sealed soup bag in warm water to thaw it faster.
- Heat in a soup pan and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
What is a 10 Minutes Natural Pressure Release
A Natural Pressure Release means that the pressure is released gradually. For a Natural Pressure Release, you click on Keep Warm, and wait 10 minutes, after which you open the valve and let any leftover pressure to release. Another option is to Turn Off/Unplug the pressure cooker, wait 10 minutes and after that open the valve. A natural release is usually used when cooking soups, meat in a large amount of sauce, pasta or steel cut oats. This method prevents for any foam from the dish to shoot out through the valve, which can happen during a Quick Pressure Release.
Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup Recipe Video:
Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup
Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup is a delightfully easy to make soup that will warm your soul with Asian flavors. Easy to make, healthy and incredibly delicious.
- 16 oz of fresh Shiitake mushrooms sliced
- or 2oz dried Shiitake mushrooms
- 14 oz extra firm tofu cut into cubes
- 8 oz can of bamboo shoots drained
- 2 tablespoon Asian sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon Rice or White vinegar
- 1/4 cup low sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic Chili paste optional
- 8 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 large eggs cracked and whisked
- 4 cups fresh spinach optional
- 5 Scallions sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- If using dried shiitake mushrooms: Place mushrooms in a medium bowl and cover with hot water for 30 minutes. Drain liquid and thinly slice.
Add to the Instant Pot: mushrooms, tofu, bamboo shoots, garlic, Asian sweet chili sauce, garlic, ginger, white pepper, sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic chili paste and vegetable stock.
- Lock on Lid and point Pressure Valve to Sealed.
- Cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes. When the Instant Pot beeps, do a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release and then manually release the rest of the pressure.
- Select the Sauté mode. Add a few drops of oil to the beaten egg and whisk to combine.
- When the soup begins to bubble, pour the beaten eggs into the middle of the cooking pot. Wait for a few seconds and then stir the egg mixture in a circular motion slowly a couple of times.
If you want the soup to be thicker, mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl until fully combined. Add the mixture to the pot and gently stir, let it simmer for 1-2 minutes. If you want the soup even more thick, add another of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with water. The soup will also thicken slightly after it cools off thanks to the cornstarch mixture.
Turn off the Instant Pot. Add the spinach to the pot and stir to combine. Add 1/2 the sliced scallions and stir.
For extra sour flavor, add one more tablespoon of vinegar at the end.
- Serve garnished with scallions.
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.