This recipe for Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup can be completed in 30 minutes using the pressure cooker! This comfort dish is perfect for the chilly weather!
I am for anything quick and simple! And, that makes the IP a really good investment in the kitchen. You can make a lot of dishes using it like Key Lime Cheesecake, Cinnamon Apples, and Mashed Cauliflower!
Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup
The Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup is perfect for the cold weather and it just gives that warm feeling that is so comforting. If you want a hearty meal, just have it with fluffy dinner rolls which you can use to sop all the creamy goodness.
The ham, potatoes, and bacon go well together and with the added vegetables, the dish becomes more flavorful and nutritious.
I used Yukon Gold spuds in this because of their creaminess and with the natural starch, the soup becomes thicker. Further, add in the roux to make it even thicker.
This makes for a great lunch the next morning after Thanksgiving or Christmas. If you served ham and have some leftovers, then, use those in this dish.
Try it and get ready for the cold season ahead!
How to make Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup:
- Sauté: Using the SAUTE function of the IP, sauté the ham in a little olive oil.
- Cook: Add the rest of the ingredients, except the roux. Close the lid and seal. Set at manual cooking for about 5 to 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Release pressure: Once the cooking is done, do a quick release by moving the valve into the vent position and turn off the IP.
- Mash: Open the lid when all of the steam has been released, then, add the cream and mash the spuds using a masher. To thicken it, add in the roux.
- Serve: Garnish and serve warm!
How long to cook the potato soup in the instant pot?
Aside from the manually set time, allow another 10 minutes for the pressure to build up. After cooking, allow the pressure to reduce gradually for another 10 minutes. So, plan when making this dish.
If you want to vary the flavor, use bacon purely in place of the ham or as an extra ingredient. Also, make this spicy by adding in Tabasco sauce. You also have the freedom to add in herbs that you like.
What are great toppings for Ham and Potato Soup?
To counter the creamy texture with something crispy, try any, or a combination, of the following:
- bacon bits
These are all great for soups!
- onion chives
- sour cream
You can also make this using the Slow Cooker. In contrast to the quick IP, the Slow Cooker will take hours to cook this but it is still definitely worth the try!
How to Store:
- Refrigerate: Allow it to cool completely to room temperature and then, transfer into an airtight container. Refrigerate and consume within 3 to 4 days.
- Freeze: Allow it to cool before putting it in freezer bags. Seal them in and store flat on top of each other in the freezer. Freeze for 4 to 6 months.
- To reheat: Thaw it overnight in the fridge and simply heat on the stove.
- It is not required to sauté the ham first but for richer flavors, do not skip it. But if you must, you can just dump in the ingredients.
- Make sure to use a low-sodium broth as a healthier alternative for the regular ones.
- You can use red potatoes or russet potatoes. The starch in the russet potatoes is a natural soup thickener.
Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 45 mins
Nutrition informationCalories: 329 Carbohydrates: 32 Protein: 15 Fat: 17 Saturated Fat: 7 Cholesterol: 47 Sodium: 1437 Potassium: 984 Fiber: 5 Sugar: 7 Vitamin A: 648 Vitamin C: 34 Calcium: 156 Iron: 6