Slow Cooker Chili is so richly flavorful that it quickly became our family favorite dish. It is easy to prepare and packed with proteins, making it the best crockpot chili recipe.
The Best Slow Cooker Chili Recipe
We love making chili, and it is actually one of our favorite foods to make. We also think that the Slow Cooker Chili method is the best one, as it results in such a deep and amazing dish. It slowly cooks for about 6 hours, which makes the beef super tender with rich texture, and the beans creamy and delicious. Also, it is super easy to make, and the perfect comfort food dish.
This is actually one of my all-time most popular recipes, especially when it comes to the fall and winter seasons. A warm bowl of this soup will definitely warm you up!
You can throw everything in the morning and have a wonderful chili dinner that night. In addition, we like our chili to be pretty thick, therefore we try to use a bit less liquid. However, if you like it runnier, we would suggest adding more tomato sauce or broth.
Also, feel free to adjust the spiciness in it. So if you want a spicier kick, add in more chili powder, or some crushed red pepper flakes. This dish is ideal for family dinner, larger gathering, or game day. And of course, leftovers are delicious, and it tastes even better the next day!
HOW TO MAKE Slow Cooker CHILI?
This Crock Pot Chili is very simple and one of the easiest recipes to make. Once you have all the ingredients ready, you are pretty much set!
- Start by sauteing onion and garlic and add to the slow cooker.
- Then, brown the ground beef and also add it to the pot.
- Once the beef is cooked, add all of the remaining ingredients to the crockpot and cook.
- Serve into individual bowls and top with your favorite toppings.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COOK CHILI IN THE SLOW COOKER?
The convenience of this recipe is that you can put the ingredients in the crockpot and cook pretty much all day long. We love cooking it on LOW, this way it is denser, richer, and more flavorful. It should be cooked on low for at least 4 hours, but for best results, we recommend cooking it for 6 hours.
WHAT TOPPINGS DO YOU PUT ON CHILI?
Some of our favorites are listed below:
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Diced avocados
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced green onions
- Sliced cilantro
- Jalapeno slices
- Lime wedge
Can I Make This Chili recipe in an Instant Pot?
Absolutely. You can check out the Instant Pot Chili recipe here.
Can I Make This Chili on the Stovetop?
If you don’t have a slow cooker this can also easily be made on the stovetop. We do have the stovetop version on our blog as well and can be accessed by clicking here.
What Should I Serve with Crockpot Chili?
For a healthier option, serve it along with a side salad.
Can I Freeze Slow Cooker Chili?
Yes, this dish freezes really well and also reheats great. We like to freeze it in small batches or portion size, this way we simply pack it for our son’s school lunch. Before freezing, ensure that the chili is completely cooled.
Then transfer into a freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More delicious Slow Cooker recipes:
- Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- Slow Cooker Glazed Smoked Ham
- Bourbon Chicken
- Brown Sugar Garlic Pork
- Bacon Pork Loin
Slow Cooker Chili Recipe Tips
- To make it spicier, add a seeded jalapeno or two along with the veggies.
- Also, for a vegetarian version, skip the beef altogether.
- Avoid cooking on high heat. Cooking this low and slow allows time for those flavors to develop and combine together.
- We like to use pinto or kidney beans, but you can use any kind you like. Kidney beans are great because they hold up well even in the slow cooker when cooked for a longer period.
- Ensure the dish is completely cooled before storing in the fridge or freezer.
- We only use 1/2 cup of beef broth because we love the chili to be thick. However, you can adjust the thickness by using more liquid such as extra beef broth, or tomato sauce.
- In addition, for a thicker texture and a deeper beef flavor, you could substitute the broth with a spoonful of beef base.
TOOLS USED IN MAKING THIS SLOW COOKER CHILI:
- Slow Cooker: We have a 7-Quart version because it is a little bit bigger, but you can use a smaller version as well.
- Cast Iron Skillet: To brown the beef and to saute the onions, we highly recommend doing it in a cast iron skillet.
Best EVER Slow Cooker Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 pounds 85 or 90% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cans 15 ounces each, kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 15 ounces canned cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup canned sweet corn (rinsed and drained)
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and then saute the onion in it for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef, and cook for about 6-7 minutes until no longer pink and the onions are soft. Break the meat with a wooden spoon.
- Drain the fat and add the beef mixture to a large slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except beans and stir well. Cover with lid and cook on Low heat for 5 - 6 hours or for 3 hours on High.
- Stir in the beans and allow to heat through about 15-30 minutes. Serve warm with desired toppings.