Slow Cooker Asian Short Ribs are so tender they fall of the bone. Cooked with lots of fresh garlic, ginger and chili peppers for fantastic flavor.
Slow Cooker Asian Short Ribs are so delicious and incredibly tender that you will make them over and over again. This meal is perfect for busy families, all you have to do is add the ingredients to the slow cooker and let it work its magic. Slow Cooker Asian Short Ribs are so tasty, that you can easily make them for a holiday or special occasion. I like that the recipe can feed a small crowd, or if you make this for your family only, you will be rewarded with delicious leftoverS. The ribs are slowly cooked with lots and lots of garlic, onions, fresh ginger and dried chili peppers for just a touch of heat. I like to serve them with rice and steamed broccoli, or a light salad on the side.
Love Slow Cooker Recipes? I have some delicious ones! Check them here:
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich – so perfect for a party or game night.
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Ham with Orange Glaze – made with lots of fresh orange zest, this ham is full of flavor.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup – such an easy recipe, you literally just add everything to the slow cooker and you are done.
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Red Wine – RED WINE, need I say more?
- Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup – perfect on a rainy day!
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew – such a delicious family dinner, and can be made for special occasions too
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala – skip the takeout with this crazy good meal! Its a favorite in our house!
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Bacon – the epitome of comfort food, sweet, creamy and BACON!
- Slow Cooker Apple Cider – you will never buy store bought again!
- Slow Cooker Apple Pudding Cake – best feeling when you have dessert slowly cooking and waiting for you!
Tips and Tricks to make the perfect Slow Cooker Asian Short Ribs Recipe:
- Use grass-fed, organic meat if possible, grass-fed meet tends to be extra tender, which is perfect in this recipe.
- While not necessary, for best results and taste, I highly recommend browning the short ribs. It will take you just 10 extra minutes, but it will improve the texture and taste and also will lock in all the delicious flavors.
- If you are looking to make this recipe Gluten Free, use Tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Store the ribs after cooking in a large airtight container in the fridge, make sure that the beef is at least partially covered by the sauce so it doesn’t dry out.
- You can add even more garlic, or if you please less, I personally love garlicky meals, so the more the merrier for me.
- The chili peppers are optional, I think they add a nice, subtly spicy kick. You can leave them out, or add more if you prefer. Same for the red pepper flakes.
- Fresh ginger works so much better in this recipe, than the powder. It will add a beautiful aroma to the dish, that is refreshing and nice.
- I like to add a few onions to the slow cooker, they will add great flavor to the broth, you can discard them after cooking.
- For optimal results, using a ladle I like to pour some of the sauce on top of the ribs, I do this 2 times thru the cooking process.
Tools/ingredients that I used to make the Best Slow Cooker Short Ribs Recipe:
- Crockpot – very reasonably priced and definitely a kitchen must have if you are busy.
- Bay Leaves – I like using bay leaves in my recipes, they add a nice flavor, I always use them in soups and stews.
- Worcestershire Sauce – definitely a specialty ingredient that it’s great to have on hand for beef recipes.
- Beef Broth – I always use organic in recipes, it also adds a tone of flavor.
- Cornstarch – I prefer using cornstarch instead of flour to thicken sauces, and this organic brand is my favorite.
Slow Cooker Asian Short Ribs are so tender they fall of the bone. Cooked with lots of garlic, ginger and chili peppers for fantastic flavor.
- 5 pound bone-in beef short ribs cut crosswise into 2 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 10 cloves garlic 8 whole and 10 minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion quartered
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 chili peppers dried, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves fresh and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Transfer ribs to a 6-qt slow cooker. Distribute evenly on the bottom.
In a large bowl, whisk together: soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, minced garlic, ginger, sesame oil, Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.
Add the mixture to the slow cooker over the ribs. Add the 10 whole garlic cloves, distribute evenly, also between the ribs. Same for the quartered onion and bay leaves. Top with whole dried chili peppers.
Cover and cook on low heat for 8-9 hours or high heat for 4-5 hours.
If you can, mid cooking, using a ladle, pour some of the slow cooker sauce on top of the ribs.
Once cooked, in a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and ¼ cup water until fully combined, with no clumps. Gently stir in mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
Garnish with parsley and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!