Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes are crispy on the outside, buttery on the inside, and ready in under 30 minutes. Cooked with a mix of dried herbs for extra flavor, this minimal-effort recipe is always a huge hit with everyone.
Our passion for Instant Pot recipes has been well documented here. We like making easy and flavorful dishes in less time without cutting on flavor. This recipe makes the perfect side dish for any weeknight meal. Another must-try favorite is this Air Fryer Crispy Potatoes recipe!
Instant Pot Baby Potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes to make in the Pressure Cooker. Usually, when I need to make a quick and delicious side dish, that the whole family will love I turn to this recipe. This is a kid-friendly, budget-friendly, and super easy-to-make recipe.
Pressure cooker potatoes are specifically made with baby potatoes, but fingerling potatoes work just as fine. I also like to use tri-color ones, but you can use any baby spuds that you like or have on hand. The Instant pot potatoes recipe is made with simple ingredients and it goes well with any main dish.
The best part of this recipe is that the spuds are seasoned with a mix of dried herbs, loading them with flavor. The potatoes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside with hints of rosemary and thyme, which would go well with so many dishes. I like to serve this side dish with Meatloaf, Balsamic Pork Loin, or Chicken Breasts.
For this recipe, you can season the potatoes with just salt and pepper and maybe add some paprika or cayenne pepper for extra heat. If you want the flavor explosion of deliciously dried herbs and fresh herbs, which by the way I highly recommend, here is the ingredient list of exactly what I used:
- Baby potatoes – Use small red potatoes gold potatoes or russet potatoes.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika – you can also add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.
- Cayenne Pepper Powder – I usually use red pepper flakes, but cayenne pepper also works great.
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Dried Rosemary and Dried Thyme – I also like to add a few fresh rosemary and thyme sprigs to the pot, they will add great flavor.
- Bay leaves
- Water – As an alternative vegetable stock, chicken broth or chicken stock can be used.
How do you make Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes recipe?
If you are a potato lover like me this is an easy way to cook the most flavorful side dish. This recipe is super easy to make and the results are buttery potatoes with a firmer texture, not mushy. Also, they have crisp skin and a tender center. Also, I have attached the recipe video so you can watch and see the exact steps.
- Prepare the potatoes: I use small-sized ones, new potatoes work really great too. Also, leave the skin on. Wash and wipe them with a paper towel, so they are dry. Then, season with salt, ground black pepper, herbs, and a little olive oil.
- Saute: Select the saute function, add a drizzle of olive oil to the inner pot. Next, add the spuds in a single layer and saute on each side for about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining ones.
- Pressure cook: Once browned, add water or broth to the pot using a wooden spoon scrape down any bits that got stuck to the bottom of the pot. Then, add some additional herbs, such as rosemary, bay leaves, lock the lid, and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Quick Pressure Release: When the cooking time ends, do a quick release to release pressure. Next, carefully open the pot and remove the potatoes with a large slotted spoon.
- Crisp the skin: Preheat the broiler, and roast these under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, or just until crispy.
- Serve: Serve as a side dish, topped with melted butter and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Before sautéing, cover these in lots of garlic powder for garlic potatoes.
- As an alternative you can toss them in butter and garlic powder before broiling.
- After pressure cooking, slice or use them whole to make potato salad.
- Did you know that you can make baked potatoes in the Slow Cooker? This easy recipe for Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes is always a success!
- Also, feel free to try other delicious alternatives: Garlic Roasted Potatoes or Oven-Baked Rosemary Potatoes.
- For extra flavor, try adding some Italian Seasoning, homemade ranch seasoning, or cajun seasoning.
- Also, at the end of cooking, you can add some freshly minced garlic.
How to make oven-roasted potatoes:
Yes, if you don’t have an Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker, you can totally make these roasted potatoes in the oven. To make Crispy Oven Baked Potatoes follow these steps:
- Firstly, if you are using baby potatoes you can keep them whole or cut them in half. If you are using larger potatoes, cut them into wedges.
- Also, if you have sliced the potatoes, soak them in cold water for at least one hour. This removes some of the starch and will help make the potatoes crispier.
- Then, dry well the potatoes before cooking, use paper towels to soak excess water.
- Make sure the oven is very hot when you add the potatoes, preheat it to 425 degrees F.
- Do not overcrowd the spuds on the baking sheet. The potatoes should be laid in one layer, so they have enough room to get crispy. If you overcrowd them, they will start releasing steam and not be as crispy. Hence, try to avoid this.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Stir and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown and tender when pinched with a fork.
More Pressure Cooker Side Dishes:
How to store leftovers:
- Refrigerate: First, let the leftovers fully cool. Next, to refrigerate leftovers use an airtight container. Then, refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: To freeze leftovers use a freezer-safe container or freezer bag, and freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge when ready to consume.
- Reheat: Reheat in the microwave, or oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes, until warm.
- Feel free to use any type of spuds you prefer. Yukon Gold, baby red, baby gold will work as well.
- Also, you will find the most success with this recipe when you use small, baby potatoes with the peel on. This way they cook uniformly and won’t get mushy.
- As an alternative, use a steamer basket to cook them.
- Prior to serving, add some chopped parsley, or bacon bits on top.
Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds baby potatoes ((or russet potatoes that have been peeled and cut into wedges))
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup water ((or broth of your choice))
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chives or Green onion (chopped)
- Turn on your pressure cooker or Instant Pot and select the Sauté function.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, mix the potatoes with olive oil and all the ingredients from the Herb Seasoning section. Stir to combine.
- Once the Instant Pot reads HOT, add the oiled and seasoned potatoes in one layer. If needed cook the potatoes in batches.
- Do not stir the potatoes for 2-3 minutes, cook until golden on one side, stir and cook on the other side; for a total of about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from pot and repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Once the potatoes have been browned, add all the potatoes to the pot. Pour in water or broth. Top with bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme sprigs.
- TIP: To keep the potatoes crispier, add a trivet or steamer basket to the pot, this will keep them above the water and result in crispier on the outside potatoes.
- Close and lock the lid. Make sure the valve points to Sealed.
- Select high pressure and set the timer for 7 minutes. Once the Instant Pot beeps, release pressure carefully using the quick-release method.
- Unlock and remove the lid.
- Preheat the broiler setting on your oven.
- Optional: for a crispier texture, arrange the cooked potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and garlic powder. Broil for 3-5 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve potatoes warm garnished with chopped chives and green onions.