Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are so tender, fluffy, creamy, incredibly delicious and easy to make in the pressure cooker with the tips and directions you have here.
Easy Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are so easy to make in the pressure cooker. I love adding a few and have them for a quick lunch or if you cook some type of meat in the oven, making the sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker as a side is a perfect decision.
The texture is just perfect, so fluffy and so tender. Also, it takes just about 30 minutes to make them, which is very convenient during busy weekdays. This recipe is very versatile and you can follow the same steps to make baby food purees. It is really super convenient and simple!
I just love having them for lunch with some butter, cinnamon and lots of brown sugar. You should also absolutely try these amazing IP Mashed Potatoes that are very creamy and fluffy.
How to make the best Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot?
Making this recipe is super easy. You will only need two ingredients: sweet potatoes and cold water. Also, we highly recommend using a trivet or steamer rack.
- Rinse and Scrub: First, try getting organic quality potatoes. This way, you can eat them with skin if desired. Then, ensure to rinse them under cold water and give them a nice scrub. Since they usually have dirt on them, you want to clean them properly. A nice brush that we usually use is this one.
- Add water: Add some water to the pressure cooker pot, and then add the trivet.
- Cook: Lastly, close the lid, and cook them.
It is that easy and simple!
For how long should I cook sweet potatoes in the instant pot?
You should cook them on high pressure and the timing depends on the size of the potatoes. Below are suggested cooking time based on their size:
- Small size – 18 minutes
- Medium size – 25 minutes (the most common ones you find at the grocery store)
- Long, and extra-large size – 35 minutes
The same cooking steps and methods can be applied to other types of potatoes when cooked under pressure.
- For example, feel free to use regular Russet types. You can follow this recipe on how to bake Russet, Yukon Gold and Idaho potatoes.
- Also, the same principle will apply cooking small baby red potatoes and small Dutch baby (golden/ yellow) potatoes this way. However, please note that the cooking time will be reduced to about 10 minutes, plus NPR.
- You can even combine various types together in the same pot! Because I prefer the sweet once and my husband’s russet type, we usually cook them together. Just ensure that they are pretty much similar in size. Alternatively, is there is a huge variation in size, feel free to cut the larger once in half, and then cook together.
How to make sweet potato puree?
- After you cook them in the pressure cooker, remove them from the pot and let them fully cool.
- Then, remove the skin from them, and add the flesh to a large bowl.
- Lastly, mash them with a fork or potato masher, add some melted butter and season appropriately.
How many sweet potatoes can you add to cook into the Instant Pot?
I like to add them only in one layer, I usually prefer to add 4 small or medium once when cooking them. You can add a few more and stack them, but make sure the sweet potatoes don’t stay in the water, they will get mushy, also don’t over-crowd the pot. I used a 6q Instant Pot for this recipe.
What to serve with this dish?
They make for an excellent side dish, as they are quite healthy and delicious. This would be a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. Some of our favorite way to serve this dish is with:
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breasts
- Turkey Meatloaf or Beef Meatloaf
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- Corned Beef
- Pork Tenderloin
Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes toppings Suggestion:
- Butter, cinnamon and brown sugar – for a sweet version
- Refried beans, salsa, cheese, cilantro, and sour cream
- Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and jalapeno poppers
- Leftover chili beans and parsley
- Bacon gives and sour cream
What is a 10 Minutes Natural Pressure Release?
A Natural Pressure Release means that the pressure is released gradually. For a Natural Pressure Release, you click on Keep Warm, and wait 10 minutes, after which you open the valve and let any leftover pressure to release. Another option is to Turn Off/Unplug the pressure cooker, wait 10 minutes and after that open the valve.
A natural release is usually used when cooking soups, meat in a large amount of sauce, pasta or steel-cut oats. This method prevents any foam from the dish to shoot out through the valve, which can happen during a Quick Pressure Release.
- You do not need to poke holes in them prior to cooking. We have never poked holes in them when cooking under pressure, and they come out perfectly cooked.
- Also, if you have leftover, feel free to store them in an airtight container. They will last in the fridge for up to 5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave prior to serving.
- To select the best sweet potatoes from the local grocery store, always try picking a firm once. Also, we recommend skipping tan or purple-skinned type (known as the “dry” varieties). Fro our experience, the best once that works really well here is the orange or red-skinned type. This variety is known to be moist, with a fluffy and creamy texture. Either Red Garnet or Jewel should work perfectly well.
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Prep time: 2 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 27 mins