Baked Chicken Breasts in the oven are deliciously seasoned and perfectly juicy. This homemade recipe is super easy to follow and requires simply a mixture of herbs, olive oil or butter, and chicken breasts. It yields the most tender and flavorful meat that can go on salads, sandwiches, or even casseroles. It doesn’t get much better than this!
This is one of the easiest and most delicious meals you can prepare in a short time. In addition, the cooked chicken breasts store well, and leftovers are just as great. You can even make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup or Chicken Spaghetti Casserole with it. Whatever you decide to use it for, it is guaranteed to make a satisfying and tasty meal.
Easy Baked Chicken Breasts
Baked Chicken Breasts in the oven are always tender, flavorful, perfectly cooked, and smell heavenly. Though it is a simple and easy dish to make, it is easily one of the best and juiciest recipes out there. The most important step when roasting the poultry is not to overcook it.
If cooked the wrong way or for too long, you will end with dry and rubbery meat, which you want to avoid. We will guide you on how to best cook them in the oven, to get the perfect meal that you will love.
Roasted Chicken Breasts are easy to customize with your favorite seasonings or toppings. They are naturally lean, Keto-friendly, and high in protein which makes them ideal for any meal. Similarly, you can bake them with your favorite veggies, such as roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli, or bok-choy, for a more nutritious and healthy meal.
What do you need to make Oven Baked Chicken Breasts?
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – the kind and sizes you use are totally up to you. Also, you can use fresh or frozen meat. For frozen meat, make sure to thaw before using.
- Butter or olive oil – both ingredients work well, but butter will give this dish the best flavor, and also some juiciness and richness to it. Since chicken breasts are generally lean, butter works great because it gives some tenderness to them.
- Seasoning – we use a mixture of garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper. However, this is really very preferential, and you can mix it up with your favorite seasonings. For example, you could add rosemary, thyme, dried basil, red chili peppers if you prefer.
- Salt and Water – to make the meat tender and juicy, you want to soak it for at least 30 minutes or a few hours in a brine. For this, you will need some lukewarm water and salt. This step is optional, but we strongly recommend it.
- Cooking Thermometer – this is optional but it is a handy tool to have in the kitchen. It is the best way to ensure that your meat is not over or under-cooked. Also, it is not expensive, so we highly recommend to get one.
How do you brine the chicken breasts?
We highly recommend this step, as it will result in the most tender and juicy meat. Brining chicken is very easy, but the pay-off is amazing. This can effectively be done in as little as 15 minutes, although everything over 30 minutes is a plus. To brine the meat, simply follow the below steps:
- Take 3-4 chicken breasts and place them in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, pour 4 cups lukewarm water (about 90 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Then, add 1/4 cup salt, and stir to combine.
- Pour the brine mixture over the chicken breasts and set aside for at least 15 to 30 minutes. If you are doing this in advance, cover the meat and refrigerate the bowl of chicken and brine for up to 4-6 hours.
- When ready, pour out the brine, then take each chicken piece and rinse under cold water. Then, pat dry with paper towels. It’s that easy, yet it makes a huge difference in the texture and juiciness of the meat.
How to bake chicken breasts:
To make this easy and delicious dinner, follow the simple steps below:
- Brine: Brine the chicken according to the steps above. Let it brine for at least 30 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
- Rub it: I like rubbing the poultry prior to baking. This adds an additional layer of flavors. You can use your favorite seasoning, or use my Italian seasoning.
- Brush it: I highly recommend brushing the breasts with melted butter. Or at least, I would say using butter while cooking it. This will add great flavor. Also, it will give it a nice golden crust and color on the outside.
- Roast: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and bake it.
- Rest: Prior to slicing and serving, let it rest for 5-10 minutes. This way, the flavors, and all the juices will come together.
How to season the Chicken Breasts with seasoning blend?
Prepare the seasoning by mixing together garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, dried parsley, basil, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper. Then, simply sprinkle the seasoning over the meat, or rub it. Make sure not to over-power the bird with too much seasoning, so keep it simple.
What temperature to bake chicken breasts?
Over the years we have tried cooking the breast meat at various temperatures, and we concluded that cooking it at 400 degrees F yields the perfect result. Chicken breasts are naturally lean, so it is important to set the right temperature when cooking.
Also, you want to rest the meat for at least 10-15 minutes before baking. This will allow the butter and herbs to absorb into it.
How long to bake chicken breast at 400 degrees?
Depending on the thickness of the breast, roasting at 400 degrees F requires a cooking time of about 25-30 minutes. Cooking at a higher heat develops a nicer and crispier crust on the outside of the breasts, which also locks the juice better, and keeps the meat perfectly tender on the inside.
It is recommended to start checking on it after about 25-minute mark, to ensure it is not overcooked, sooner for a smaller size meat cut. Check with a cooking thermometer, as the internal temperature should be around 160 degrees F. Once it hits this mark, we usually remove the meat from the oven and let it rest for additional 5-10 minutes.
Resting it will let the temperature to climb on its own to 165 degrees F internally, and ensure the meat is not over-cooked. Similarly, it will let the juices reabsorb into the chicken, resulting in perfectly tender meat.
What goes with oven-baked chicken breasts as a side dish?
For a complete meal, add some veggies to the same pan in the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time. Some great additions are:
- Roasted asparagus
- Oven roasted bok-choy
- Roasted brussels sprouts
- Steamed broccoli
- Green beans casserole
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Garlic roasted potatoes
- Scalloped potatoes
How to store baked chicken breasts?
Before refrigerating the meat, make sure it is completely cooled. Then, transfer it into an airtight container and refrigerate it up to 4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE COOKED CHICKEN BREASTS?
- Ensure the meat is cooled before freezing.
- Next, wrap each cooked breasts in plastic wrap, then add a layer of aluminum foil over it.
- Transfer the wrapped meat to a freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and set in the fridge overnight to thaw out.
MORE BAKED PROTEIN TUTORIALS:
- Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- Crispy Baked Pork Chops
- Baked Salmon
- Baked Hawaiian Chicken
- Roasted BBQ Chicken
- Oven Baked Tilapia
Recipe Tips and Notes:
- Chicken breasts cook easily, so be extra careful not to overcook them.
- Also, if your breast is quite large, then cut them in half horizontally to form 2 thin steaks.
- Let them rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Use your own seasoning or store-bought.
Baked Chicken Breasts
Baked Chicken Breasts in the oven are deliciously seasoned and perfectly juicy. This homemade recipe is super easy to follow and requires simply a mixture of herbs, olive oil or butter, and chicken breasts.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 35 mins
Chicken & Seasoning:
Chicken and Seasoning: