Italian Seasoning is a blend of seven various dried herbs and spices whisked together and ready in less than a minute! A handy homemade seasoning that goes well with pasta sauce, marinara sauce, pizza, or chicken and beef dishes!
Being a chef, it is essential to have handy all the best herbs. And this one is among my favorite mix of them. It goes pretty much on anything and is a great way to incorporate into pasta sauces and salad dressings. I like to use it on Chicken and Potatoes, Grilled Vegetables, or Lasagna.
This mildly-flavored Italian Seasoning is a must-have in everyone’s kitchen. When it comes to homemade seasonings, this is one of my favorite recipes. I use it all the time because it has a nice combination of herbs that can be used on various dishes. Obviously, you could buy this from your local grocery store, but it will probably not be the same.
Making it at home is super easy and budget-friendly. In addition, you can control the quality of the ingredients, and you know exactly what goes into it. Also, you can adjust the ingredients based on your liking, and alter the herbs per your desire. And if you do not have handy one or two of the herbs, it will work as well.
I like to stick to the ratio and the blend of herbs as stated in the recipe card below. In addition, we always make a larger batch of it, and simply store it. This way, we have it handy for months to come. This is a simple recipe that is ready in less than 2 minutes. Give it a try, and you will never go for the store-bought version again!
Homemade Italian Seasoning Ingredients:
For this recipe, we used the following dried ingredients:
How to make Italian Seasoning?
Once you have all the dried ingredients ready, you simply whisk them together and you are set! It does not get any easier than that! Also, if you want to skip some of the herbs from the list, or do not have them, it is also ok.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is it gluten free?
Yes, this seasoning mix is naturally gluten-free and also vegan. Therefore, you can pretty much use it on any type of diet!
What do you use Italian Seasoning for?
This combination of dry ingredients works great on a lot of dishes, especially on Italian dishes, various meats, and fish recipes. It gives a nice balance of savory flavor to any meal. Feel free to use it for:
- Meatloaf Recipe
- Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- Grilled Chicken
- Homemade Breadsticks
- Garlic Butter Swai Fish
- Italian Chicken and Rice
Is it good for you?
Most of the ingredients and spice blends used here such as basil, oregano, rosemary are high in antioxidants and can help with digestion.
The good thing about this mix is that you control the ingredients and know exactly what goes into it. Unlike the store-bought version where plenty of salt is used, this recipe contains no salt and uses only healthy herbs.
How long is it good for?
Once you made it, it is best to store it in an airtight container. It will perfectly store for up to 12 weeks.
Try to store it in a dark place and in an airtight container, or lidded jar. This way, there is no moisture inside.
More Italian dishes to try:
- For the best flavors, always go with high-quality ingredients. They are not expensive, and you can easily make a larger batch and store it for the whole year.
- Also, some of the herbs might not be finely chopped. For a better and smaller texture, and to get more flavor out of them, feel free to use a food processor, spice grinder, or coffee grinder.
- You can use more or less of the ingredients to make the mix or your own Italian blend or own spice blends. Just adjust per your taste. Some great mix-ins would be garlic powder, onion powder, taco seasoning, dried parsley, red chili flakes, dried basil, fresh herbs, etc.
- For a spicier kick, add some crushed red pepper flakes to it. However, it is best to simply add the spicy when cooking a specific dish.
- As you can see from the ingredient list, this recipe does not contain any salt. So, if you like to add some salt to it, go ahead. I usually do not add salt because I simply add it when cooking a specific recipe.
- When used on fish or meat, it is best to add a spoon of olive oil and rub the meat with it.
Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- Whisk all dried herbs in a small bowl until combined.
- Use immediately or store in a sealed container.