Meatloaf Recipe that is flavorful and juicy on the inside, with a delicious glaze spread on the outside. This dish is easy to make for dinner and is guaranteed to be your favorite homemade comfort food. It is the best meatloaf recipe you can get, with minimal preparation work required.
This easy and delicious meatloaf recipe will quickly win you over. It is so rich and tender, that you will not get enough of it. Serve it alongside Crispy Roasted Potatoes or Mac and Cheese Casserole for a complete meal.
Best Meatloaf Recipe
This Meatloaf Recipe is our family’s favorite dinner meal because it is packed with delicious flavors. The best part is that it’s simple to make, cheap, and can feed a larger crowd. Simply, assemble the meatloaf, put in the pan, and let the oven do all the work. As a result, you will be rewarded with the most amazing, tender and juicy meal.
A homemade and classic meatloaf should not be hard to make. And this is exactly what we will present in this recipe. It requires affordable ingredients, such as ground beef, bread crumbs, onions, and parsley. And to finish it off perfectly, top the dish with the most amazing caramelized shiny glaze.
What is the secret to the best meatloaf recipe?
We have made a variety of meatloaf recipes and with certainty would say that using leaner ground beef is part of the secret. Many people think that the opposite is true. But our experience tells us otherwise.
The main problem in using high-fat ground beef is that once cooked, it makes a greasy mess. Also, since you will be mixing the lean ground beef with milk, egg, ketchup, and onion, it will help the meatloaf to be kept juicy and moist. More importantly, it will keep the shape intact, and give the dish the perfect look.
Similarly, it is crucial not to overmix it, as it might result in tough and rubbery meat.
How to Make the Perfect Meatloaf Recipe Glaze?
The glaze is just as important as the meat itself. Therefore, you want to make sure you have the right glaze to top the meatloaf. Our homemade glaze has the right balance. It is not too sweet and not too tart. Half is spread over the meat before baking, and the other half is added on during baking. This gives the meal the classic, and homemade taste.
We use a mixture of ketchup, tomato paste, chili sauce, a hint of light brown sugar, and some cider vinegar. This simple yet delicious sauce truly compliments the dish completely. It has a perfect balance and gives the meal a rich and flavorful taste. Don’t skip it!
How to make the best Meatloaf recipe?
- In a large bowl add 90% lean ground beef.
- Then, add dried Italian bread crumbs and some diced onion.
- Add dried parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Next, add milk, an egg. The ketchup-based sauce will be used to spread over the loaf before baking, and also during baking.
This meatloaf recipe is very easy to make. However, it is important to note a few crucial steps to ensure the perfect dish.
- As stated above, do not overmix the ingredients. This will cause the dish to be dense and not very juicy.
- Using milk is important because it gives this homemade recipe the needed moisture. So try not to skip it.
- Brush the meatloaf with sauce during cooking. This will ensure the flavor is locked in, and also add some moisture to it.
- Once cooked, let it rest for about 10 minutes. This helps with flavors to soak in, and also makes sure it won’t fall apart.
How to shape the meatloaf?
There are a few ways you could do that. You could either:
- Place it in a loaf pan. This is a quick and easy option, which also results in a uniform shape. The negative to it is that it may result in soggy edges instead of crispy once.
- Another option, which we mostly use, manually form a loaf about 8″x4″ size and place it onto a baking tray. This might take a few extra minutes to do, but is what gives the loaf a homemade look. Also, this guarantees to have crispy edges throughout.
How long to cook meatloaf?
The cooking time will vary based on size. For our meatloaf recipe, we use 2lb beef, which needs to be cooked at 400°F (200°C) for about 45 minutes. Then, spread a little more sauce over the top and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the glaze is nice and sticky.
Remember, to check the internal temperature of the meat with a thermometer, this is the best way to ensure an accurate reading. Fully cooked, it should have an internal temperature of 160°F. Lastly, let your meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to absorb into it. Also, resting will ensure not to fall it apart.
WHY DOES MY MEATLOAF ALWAYS FALL APART?
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MEATLOAF?
Some great suggestions are listed below:
Can you freeze meatloaf?
You can absolutely freeze it. Simply cover it tightly with plastic wrap and foil and then place it in the freezer. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost frozen meatloaf in the refrigerator the night before consuming.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 lbs ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (plain)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray with oil. Set aside.
- Combine all the "Meatloaf" ingredients, in the order listed up to the bread crumbs. Stir well to combine, and after that add the milk and beaten egg. Stir just until combined.
- Add the cheddar cheese and again mix well, but do not over-beat.
- Shape the beef mix into a loaf shape and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Combine all the Glaze ingredients in a small bowl until well combined and set aside. Brush about half of the glaze all over the meatloaf.
- Transfer meatloaf to the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the inside temperature is 160F degrees. Brush the remaining glaze all over the surface of the meatloaf and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Once the meatloaf is done, let it cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.