Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf is moist, flavorful, and cheesy! The flavors in this dish reinvent the classic cheeseburger and make it perfect for a quick homemade dinner.
I always have bacon in my freezer and that is for obvious reasons. It is so versatile and my family adores it! See how we use it in our dishes like this one and my other recipes such as Corn Fritters, Keto Brussels Sprouts, and Slow Cooker Corn Chowder!
Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf
Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf is heavenly! It is a combination of two of my favorite beef dishes generously seasoned with a stellar line up of spices.
One key ingredient here aside from using the best ground beef you could find is the Worcestershire sauce. If you do not have it, buy one now before trying this recipe. It is irreplaceable!
This fermented sauce gives a lot of umami flavor that enhances the beef that is not achievable with any other condiment. If you discover an alternative that is just as good, let me know!
What is a meatloaf?
It is a kind of dish typically made with ground beef or pork with other ingredients that act as extenders. In this recipe, the extenders are the bread crumbs.
It has a long history beginning from the era of the Great Depression. During those times, people were trying to make dishes out of limited resources. With this goal, this dish was created.
What do you need to make Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf:
This recipe requires a handful of ingredients that are possibly already in your pantry and fridge. Check out the list below for the meatloaf ingredients:
- 90% lean ground beef
- chopped bacon slices
- dried parsley
- ground paprika
- red pepper flakes
- Worcestershire sauce
- ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- bread crumbs
- beaten eggs
- cubed cheddar cheese
For the glaze, prepare the following:
- tomato paste
- brown sugar
- apple cider vinegar
- more bacon
Garnish with the following:
- diced tomatoes
How do you make Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf:
- Prep the oven: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put aluminum foil on the rimmed baking sheet that you will use. Then, spray lightly with oil.
- Make the beef mixture: Do this by combining the ground beef, bacon, parsley, paprika, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, ground black pepper, salt, onion, garlic, and bread crumbs. You can add the milk, milk, and beaten egg. Mix well until incorporated. Then, shape it and transfer into the baking sheet prepared earlier.
- Make the glaze: In a bowl, mix the ingredients except for the bacon. With half of the glaze, brush the surface of the meatloaf.
- Bake: Put it in the oven to bake and this will take about 45 minutes. Then, glaze it with the same sauce made earlier. Sprinkle with more bacon and bake 15 minutes more.
- Serve: Once ready, slice as you would to a bread loaf after a 10- or 15-minute cooling period.
Why is my meatloaf dry?
This could be a result of many factors. One of which is the use of lean beef that is what we are using in this recipe. To compensate for the lack of fat, you need to put in more liquid.
Another factor could be that the oven is too hot when in fact, the internal temperature required for food safety is only at 160 degrees.
Cooking it too long will also dry it out. Instead, when shaping your loaf, aim for a loose shape since compact ones tend to cook longer.
Can you make it in advance?
Yes! This dish makes for a great freezer meal. To do this, just follow the storage guidelines below.
How to store bacon cheeseburger meatloaf
- Refrigerate: If you have cooked this dish, then, you have 3 to 4 days to refrigerate and consume it.
- Freeze: Extend the shelf life to up to 3 or 4 months by first putting it in airtight freezer-proof containers.
- To reheat: Simply heat in the oven using the same settings as you baked it.
- You can use the same recipe for chicken or turkey.
- Adding vegetables can also help introduce not only added flavors but also moisture into the dish.
- Soaking the bread crumbs in milk can also help in preventing it from drying out.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hr
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 8 bacon slices (cooked and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 bacon slices (cooked and chopped)
- Diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with oil. Set aside.
- Make Meatloaf:
- Combine all the "Meatloaf" ingredients, up to the bread crumbs, including them as well. Stir well to combine, and after that add the milk and beaten egg. Stir just until combined.
- Add the cheddar cheese and again mix well, but do not over-beat.
- Shape the beef mix into a loaf shape and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Meatloaf Glaze:
- Combine all the Glaze ingredients (except bacoin a small bowl until well combined and set aside. Brush about half of the glaze all over the meatloaf.
- Transfer meatloaf to the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the inside temperature is 160F degrees.
- Brush the remaining glaze all over the surface, sprinkle with bacon and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Once the meatloaf is done, let it cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.