Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes is an easy and delicious dinner that is ready in less than one hour. This is one of the best comfort foods cooked at the same time in the pressure cooker.
Easy Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes is our favorite recipe to make when we want a full and quick dinner. This meal is pretty easy to make, and the best part is that you cook the potatoes and the beef together in the pressure cooker. They end up cooked perfectly together and taste even better. The potatoes are creamy while the beef is juicy and tender.
You can even through in some Brussell sprouts, broccoli or mushrooms to it. The loaf is then glazed with a delicious bbq sauce which makes it just perfect. It gives the right balance of sweet and savory to it.
The meal takes only 30 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. Once done, you can broil it for a few minutes to get the sticky and thick caramelization on it.
How to make Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes?
This is one of the easiest comfort food to make with the help of the pressure cooker.
- Start by washing and cleaning the potatoes. Once cleaned, cut them into fairly large pieces to accommodate the cooking time for the meat.
- Using an Instant Pot liner, place the potatoes on the bottom.
- Then, pour in chicken or beef stock, and sprinkle the mixture with some salt, pepper and garlic seasoning.
- You can also use water if short on broth. However, using the stock as liquid will gives this meal much more flavor as compared to when cooking with water.
- Next, shape the meat mixture into a loaf and place it on top of the liner in the IP.
- Then wait for 30 minutes for the perfectly cooked meal.
We like to broil the meat for a few minutes once it is removed from the pressure cooker. This gives it a nice caramelization on top and the glaze is thick and sticky, just perfect to enjoy for dinner. To do so, simply place it in the oven, and broil for 3-5 minutes.
Should I cover the meatloaf with foil when placed in the Instant Pot?
We are usually cooking with aluminum foil the loaf because sometimes we go for a bigger sized loaf. However, there is an alternative way to this, which we have used many times, and it works just as fine.
You can use a mini loaf pan, that fits just right perfectly in the pot. Also, if you are using an 8 quart IP, you can even use two mini loaf pans and position them side by side when placed on the trivet. This way you could cook the meat and the potatoes in each pan if preferred.
HOW TO SHAPE MEATLOAF?
It is very easy to shape it. Simply, put your meat mixture onto a tray and assemble it into a loaf shape yourself by hands. This will give it a homemade look to it and is how we usually do it.
Also, as stated above, you could use the mini loaf pans. In this case, just place the mixture into it, and you will end up with a uniform and nice-looking shaped loaf.
Also, there are a few ways to customize the meatloaf, which might add some extra flavor to it:
- Add a 1/3 cup of shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese to the mix.
- Chop up 1/2 cup of mushrooms and add to the meat mixture.
- Similarly, you could substitute the ground beef with ground chicken or turkey.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 40 mins
- 1 pound ground beef (80 to 85 lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 onion (finely minced and divided)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (cubed)
- 2 lbs Yukon potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper ( to taste)
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- In a large bowl combine all the Meatloaf ingredients together, adding the ground pork, beef, and cheese at the end. Mix thoroughly.
- Then, shape into an oval that will fit into the instant pot. Make a boat out of foil and place the meatloaf inside, it should hug it nicely, but do NOT cover it with foil.
- Clean, peel and dice the potatoes and add them to the bottom of a 6qt Instant Pot.
- Add the broth, salt, pepper, and butter. Place a long-legged trivet on top.
- Add the aluminum boat with the meatloaf on top. Do NOT cover the meatloaf with foil.
- Lock the lid and make sure you pint the valve to Sealed.
- Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes. Followed by a 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release. After that release manually the rest of the pressure.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Gently remove the Meatloaf from the pressure cooker and place on a baking sheet, still in the foil boat. Push it down so it doesn't cover the sides of the meatloaf.
- Next, in a medium bowl mix, all the Glaze ingredients and add pour half on the meatloaf. Brush it to cover the top and sides.
- Bake it for 10-15 minutes. Brush with the remaining glaze and remove from the oven.
- In the meantime, with the Instant Pot on Saute, mash the potatoes, add the cream and stir to combine. Turn off and stir in the sour cream. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Slice the meatloaf and serve over mashed potatoes with more glaze if desired. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.