Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta has all the delicious flavors and textures of a good Philly cheese steak in this easy and cheesy pasta dish. Ready in about 30 minutes, and you do NOT have to separately cook the pasta, this is a great one-pot meal that the whole family will love.
We love making easy and delicious Instant Pot recipes, they are convenient and I absolutely love the reduced cooking time and effort that goes into a dish. Make sure to check our other Pressure Cooker Pasta recipes, like our popular Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Pasta, Instant Pot Jalapeno Popper Pasta, and the cheesy Instant Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni.
This quick electric pressure cooker pasta makes the perfect easy dinner recipe for busy weeknights. You will have the best comfort food on the dinner table in just about 30 minutes.
This recipe reminds me of a hamburger helper, with veggies in a silky cheese sauce! It does not get any easier. I love that you don’t have to pre-cook the pasta, I mean who has time for that? You add the uncooked pasta to the pot and pressure cook it all together.
You will see that this easy Philly cheesesteak pasta recipe will quickly become a family favorite and you will end up making double batches!
- Butter: We like to use butter as it adds extra flavor, however, feel free to use olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Lean ground beef: We prefer to use leaner beef in this recipe.
- Yellow onion: Une one tablespoon of onion powder if you do not like a fresh onion.
- Minced garlic: Use garlic powder if you do not have fresh garlic.
- Green bell pepper: We use green to be closer to the Original Philly Cheesesteak, but use any bell peppers that you may have on hand.
- Baby Bella mushrooms
- Ketchup: To add some tanginess to the dish.
- Worcestershire sauce: To elevate the meat flavor.
- Beef broth: Also, beef stock or chicken broth would work just as fine.
- Shell pasta: We use medium size shell pasta.
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Cheese: Use mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese, or swiss cheese.
How do you make Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta recipe:
- Saute: First, set instant pot to Saute and let it heat up. After that, add the butter or oil to the bottom of the pot. Once hot, add the fresh ground beef and sear it. Use a wooden spoon to break it down and cook until you get a nice sear on it.
- Cook the veggies: Also, season the meat and add the onion, garlic, green peppers, and mushrooms. Next, add the ketchup and the beef broth, and make sure to scrape the bits that got stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Pasta: Finally, add the pasta to the pot, and just gently stir fry so it’s submerged into the liquid.
- Pressure cook: Next, close the lid and make sure the position of the valve points to sealing. Pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure: Finally, when the instant pot beeps, use the quick release method to release the pressure.
- Add cheese: After that, open the lid and add the cheese, cover a bit with the lid, for the steam to melt the cheese. In the end, stir everything and serve.
- Steak: We use ground beef to make this easy recipe, however, you can use thinly sliced sirloin steak, flank steak, or skirt steak.
- Ground meat: Make this recipe with any type of ground meat: chicken, ground Italian sausage, pork, or turkey.
- Veggies: As an alternative, add more veggies, like zucchini, carrots, or green peas.
- Creamier sauce: For the sauce to be extra creamy, stir in cubed cream cheese or sour cream before adding the cheese.
- Seasoning: A different option is to add more flavor by using Italian seasoning or cajun seasoning.
- Pasta: Cook bow-tie pasta or macaroni noodles instead of medium shell pasta.
- Double batch: If you have an 8-qt IP, you can easily double the recipe. Add just one more minute to the cooking time.
- Casserole: As an alternative, make this Philly cheesesteak casserole.
How long do you cook pasta in the Instant Pot?
Pasta is cooked in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cookers, usually between 4-6 minutes, depending on the recipe and type of pasta. Most of the time followed by a Quick Pressure Release. If you cook it longer, you risk overcooking it.
How to store:
- Cool: If you have some leftovers, from this easy instant pot recipe, first let them cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate: After that, I recommend transferring them into an airtight container. Then, store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Prior to freezing, ensure the dish is completely cold, add the leftovers to an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Thaw: When ready to thaw transfer the frozen Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight.
- Reheat: Finally, to reheat add the leftovers to a skillet over medium heat. Also, add a splash of broth, and stir. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper!
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Use quality meat because a good meat-centered meal starts with quality meat. Preferably use organic beef for this meal.
- Also, look for fresh meat that has a bright color.
- Browning the beef is essential, it will lock in the flavor and the beef juices and also elevate the meat flavor.
- Therefore, scraping the bits that are stuck to the pot is equally important to avoid a burn notice.
- You don’t have to pre-cook the pasta for this recipe. Add the uncooked pasta to the pot and 5 minutes on HP will give you al-dente pasta, and 6 minutes will result in more well-cooked pasta.
Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms (minced)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 8 oz shell pasta (I used large shells)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (provolone, Swiss or mozzarella cheese)
Optional - but makes it creamier!
- 4 oz cream cheese (cubed)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (room temperature)
- Set Instant Pot to Saute. Once the IP is hot, melt the butter or add oil instead.
- Add the ground beef, let it cook without moving for about 1 minute, to get a nice sear on it. After that, break it up using a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Once the ground beef has browned, add salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and mushrooms. Stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ketchup and beef broth. Stir to combine. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooded spoon, to make sure bits are not stuck to it.
- Add pasta and gently stir to combine just enough to submerge it into the liquid.
- Cover and seal the lid. Make sure the valve points to Sealed. Change the setting to manual and adjust the time to 5 minutes on High Pressure.
- Once Instant Pot beeps to show that it's done, do a quick release, by changing the position of the valve to Vent. Carefully remove cover and stir.
- Turn off the Instant Pot.
- If using sour cream and cream cheese, click on Saute, add them to the pot, stir and cook until melted and creamy. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Turn off the Instant Pot after that.
- Top with cheese and put the lid back on but don't seal. Allow a minute or two for the cheese to start to melt. Stir to combine.