Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 10:35 pmJump to Recipe
Cheesy Baked Green Beans [Video]
Cheesy Baked Green Beans are roasted until golden and caramelized, then baked with two kinds of cheese on top. This crunchy, cheesy, and colorful side dish never fails to impress!
It’s hard to resist anything creamy and cheesy. For example, these Creamy Potato Gratin and Cheesy Broccoli Casserole are so delicious and indulgent that you will always crave for more. Also, my Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells is another flavorful dinner that will easily feed the whole family.
Best Cheesy Baked Green Beans
Cheesy Baked Green Beans is a classic side dish that is never absent at my holiday table. It is made with everyday ingredients, mixed with minced garlic and shredded parmesan. Then, it is quickly baked in the oven until bubbly.
Although this recipe is a holiday classic, you can easily make it any time of the year. It’s a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your everyday meals. Roasting the veggies makes it more savory, and of course, everyone loves cheese. I call it my gateway veggie dish because even the pickiest eaters ask for more!
As is, this dish is vegetarian-friendly. However, you can make it vegan, by swapping the cheeses and seasonings. Also, you can add more proteins to it, by adding some bacon on top.
Just a heads-up, though — after the first time I served this, it quickly became one of my most-requested sides. So, prepare to be known for this creamy and irresistible green stalks!
Roasted Green Beans Ingredients:
Olive oil prevents the stalks from sticking to each other.
Also, we’ll be tossing these vegetables in fresh parmesan cheese and several cloves of freshly minced garlic, making it one of the most amazing flavor combos ever.
For seasonings, I go with salt and back pepper, plus a dash of onion powder, and smoked paprika to add depth. You’ll also need some Italian seasoning.
For the topping, we’re using a mix of mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. The cheddar complements the mild mozzarella perfectly. Chop some parsley as garnish.
How to make Cheesy Baked Green Beans?
- Roast the vegetables. Use olive oil to coat them nicely, then toss in parmesan cheese, minced garlic, and seasonings. Then, bake until crispy, bright green, and the outside is just starting to caramelize.
- Top with cheeses. Take the pan out, then sprinkle generously with cheddar and mozzarella. Next, broil for a few minutes until the top is golden and melted.
- Serve. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Roasted Green Beans Variations:
- Make it vegan: Use vegan cheese substitutes.
- Try other cheeses: Jalapeno and pepper jack cheese add a savory kick. Other types I like to use low-moisture swiss cheese, stringy provolone, and smooth, melty Gruyere.
- Make it healthier: To reduce the fat content from the cheese, use half the amount.
- Add bacon: Crunchy bacon bits take this cheesy side dish over the top!
- Use butter: For a more decadent version, use butter instead of olive oil.
- Make them crispier: For a crispier texture, use panko breadcrumbs. It helps to keep the beans super crunchy.
How do I know when green beans are bad?
Check the snaps! If they are dry and limp, they’re going bad already. Fresh ones will snap apart when you bend them and make a light snapping sound. Also, older ones just tend to bend because they’re already tough and rubbery.
What to serve with Roasted green beans?
More delicious side dishes:
- Crispy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Fondant Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- Creamed Spinach
- Crack Mashed Potatoes
How to store leftovers?
For any leftovers, store them in an air-tight dish and keep in the fridge. It’s best to consume it the next day to preserve the texture of the vegetables. To heat up, pop in the oven until warmed through and the cheese has melted.
- Don’t use canned green beans for this. They’re too soft and won’t give you that nice, crunchy texture after roasting. Therefore, I highly recommend using the freshest ones you can find.
- Try to grate garlic instead of chopping it so it spreads better among the veggies.
- Spread out the veggies well in the pan so they crisp up well.
- Also, use real parmesan that’s grated fresh from the block for the best flavor.
- Don’t have garlic on hand? You can swap it out with garlic powder.
- Make sure your oven is preheated properly to avoid overcooking the beans.
- I like trimming the ends of my green beans, but it’s fine not to.
Cheesy Baked Green Beans
- 1 pound fresh green beans ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley chopped
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick oil spray.
- Prepare the green beans by washing, trimming the ends and removing any moisture from them using paper towels.
- Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together olive oil, parmesan, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and Italian seasoning.
- Pour the mixture on top of the green beans and toss to evenly coat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until tender-crisp.
- Remove from the oven and top with the mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. Distribute the cheese evenly on top.
- Return to the oven and broil until the cheese melts and becomes bubbly and golden, about 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations