Crack Mashed Potatoes are simply addicting! Add a twist to this classic side dish with some Bacon, Ranch and Cheddar cheese with this easy recipe!
Crack Mashed Potatoes
Crack Mashed Potatoes are in demand in my family. Whenever we have potlucks, they tease me to prepare this! So, I guess, they are just as addicted to this side dish as I am!
I can prepare this in an hour or less which makes this dish ultraconvenient. You do not need many ingredients, too – just the spuds and a few pantry items.
So, if you are bored with the classic version however comforting it may be, then, try this! It is savory, creamy, buttery, with a bit of sourness, too. Experience all these flavors in one exciting side dish!
What are mashed potatoes?
They are typically boiled spuds that were pressed and crushed into a smooth and thick mass. Often, it is seasoned with salt and pepper, and made creamy with milk and butter.
In this recipe, we are putting this dish to the next level with the addition of ranch, bacon, and cheese!
Are white potatoes healthy?
Yes! White spuds are a good source of carbohydrates that fuel your physical activities. It is also a good source of fiber, vitamin C, potassium, amino acids, and antioxidants.
A medium piece contains 110 calories with zero fat or cholesterol. It is usually how it is prepared that makes this vegetable not-so-healthy such as deep-frying it as in chips and French fries.
What do you need to make Crack Mashed Potatoes?
For this recipe, you will need the spuds and the following ingredients:
- hot milk
- hot cream
- unsalted butter
- sour cream
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ranch packet
- cheddar cheese
- fresh green onions
How do you make Crack Mashed Potatoes?
- Prep the spuds: For this recipe, you will need about 4 pounds of spuds that are cleaned thoroughly and cut into quarters.
- Soften: Put the spuds in a large pot together with salted water covering the pieces by one inch. Boil the spuds and then, reduce to a simmer until everything is tender.
- Season: Remove the water then, add in the rest of the ingredients except for the garnishing, the cheese, and bacon.
- Mash: Mash everything with a wooden spoon or use an electric mixer. Add more milk or cream if it appears too dry. Do this just until smooth – overbeating may turn it gluey. Then, add in more cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Serve: Top with fresh green onions, cheese, bacon, and butter before serving.
What can I use to mash potatoes without a masher?
Just use a sturdy wooden spoon or fork and press down on the spuds. You can use any item hard enough to mash the boiled spuds.
How do you make fluffy mashed potatoes?
Use the potato ricer to mash. It aerates the spuds resulting in a fluffy side dish.
How do you make Homemade Ranch Seasoning?
You can prepare a homemade ranch seasoning by combining buttermilk powder with your favorite herbs and spices like the following:
- onion powder
- onion flakes
- garlic powder
How to store crack mashed potatoes:
- Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze this which will make it last for 3 to 4 months.
- To reheat: Put this in the microwave for about 5 minutes, adding milk or cream as needed.
- When you buy potatoes, store them in a cool, dry, and dark place to slow down sprouting.
- If you will leave out the butter and cream for some reason, refrain from freezing the mashed potatoes. It is the fat that makes this dish hold well in the freezer.
- If you want to keep a stash in your freezer, you can flash-freeze single-portion scoops in a baking pan. Once frozen, transfer to freezer bags.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 50 mins