Last updated on August 18th, 2022 at 04:46 pm
Cube Steak is tenderized beef pan-fried to perfection and served with onion gravy. This easy beef recipe is ready in 30 minutes, and is perfect for quick dinners!
Easy Cube Steak Recipe
Cube Steak got its name from the marks left by the meat tenderizer which forms small squares from where the tenderizer pierced through the meat. Usually, it comes from the top sirloin or top round – both parts that are known to be quite tough. That makes this kind of cut cheaper than others which makes this dish more affordable, yet quite delicious!
In this recipe, we will harness all the beefy goodness and turn this dish into a sumptuous dinner! The recipe calls for frying the steak quickly on high heat to seal in all its juices and flavors.
Read on as we will also teach you how to make this recipe in the crockpot! Slowly but surely, this method yields one of the best family meals!
What is Cube Steak?
Simply put, this is beef dredged in seasoned flour then, pan-fried. All you need to prepare this comfort food is the meat, flour, and a bunch of seasonings that you already have in your pantry.
Nothing fancy, no complicated technique, and no special ingredient. However, the results are amazingly delicious and nostalgic of your childhood!
How to cook Cube Steak?
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season evenly with garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Coat the meat with the flour mixture.
- Heat the cast-iron pan to medium-high and then, add in oil. Once hot, cook the beef for about five minutes per side. When cooked, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Cook the gravy on the same pan and once done, put back the cooked meat in the pan to reheat.
- Top with the gravy then, serve with your favorite side dishes.
How to make Cube Steak gravy?
In making the gravy, use the same pan that you used to fry the beef. The residual oil has all the steak drippings that are so flavorful.
Put some flour mixture in the pan to start making the gravy. Add in onion, broth, and ranch mix. Let it simmer and continue cooking until the onions are soft.
How to cook Cube Steak in the crockpot?
As I have mentioned earlier, the beef part used to make this dish is not the most tender. Therefore, cooking it in the crockpot is just perfect, as it makes the beef super moist and tender. Just follow these steps:
- Prepare the meat by dredging in the same flour mixture described earlier.
- Instead of frying until cooked, simply brown it in oil on a heated pan.
- Once browned, transfer the meat into the slow cooker and add the mixture of the following ingredients: cream of mushroom soup, gravy, and water.
- Depending on your cooker, you can cook this on low heat for about 6 to 8 hours.
What to serve with it?
You can pair it with the following side dishes:
How to store Cube Steak?
If there would be any leftover, let it cool and put in an airtight container. Put it in the refrigerator but take note to consume within 3 to 4 days.
You can also opt to freeze it in airtight containers or freezer bags. It can stay good for 3 months and beyond.
How to reheat it?
Since this part is very lean, retaining it with moisture is key. Thanks to the gravy, it adds moisture to the cooked steak, and you can simply pop it in the microwave to reheat.
With this, you can make this dish in advance, refrigerate it for a few days and simply reheat it as needed.
- To thicken the gravy, you can add in a slurry of cornstarch and water. Add it slowly until you achieve your desired effect.
- Also, instead of plain water, it would be better to add beef broth when doing the slow cooking method.
- To tenderize the meat, simply pound on it using a manual meat tenderizer. Feel free to tenderize your own meat and not rely on the electric tenderizers at a market. This way, you can be sure of the quality of your beef.
- It is important not to overcook the beef, or else, the steak will become rubbery.
Easy Cube Steak Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed steak
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 package ranch mix
- In a shallow bowl combine flour, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and black pepper, whisk.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and heat it up. Once hot, dredge both sides of cubed steak in the flour mixture and cook 5 minutes per side.
- Remove steak from skillet and set aside and cover with foil.
- Once done cooking the beef, to the same skillet add onion, broth, and ranch mix. Scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, bring to a simmer and cook until the onion is tender about 3-4 minutes.
- Return steak to the pan to warm it up, serve immediately over mashed potatoes.