Slow Cooker Corn Casserole is a comfort food that everyone loves, and it can be prepared with just a few basic ingredients for a fluffy and creamy dish. With just some milk, butter, sugar, eggs, and sour cream to go with the corn and Jiffy cornbread mix, you will have this succulent dish ready for dinner by the time you get home from work.
This is easy to cook in the crock pot, but if you want to get it done faster, try this Classic Corn Casserole recipe and you can have this tasty dish in an hour. If you don’t have creamed corn, use this decadent Creamed Corn recipe. And if you are looking for something else to make in the crock pot, try this Slow Cooker Rice and Beans.
Crockpot Corn Casserole
It seems this dish has been found on many tables at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, which makes sense because it is delicious. By slow cooking it, the ingredients marry well so you get a delicious burst of flavors in every bite.
This crock pot corn casserole recipe makes a great holiday meal too for any occasion. It can be served as a hearty side dish or a vegetarian main meal. Made with simple ingredients this is a dish that the whole family will love.
Although these basic ingredients are often found in everyone’s kitchen, here is a list of what you will need. And when you need the specifics, scroll down to our recipe card.
- Jiffy cornbread mix: Or you can make your own cornbread mix.
- Whole kernel corn: Sweet is best, canned or fresh.
- Cream-style corn: Canned or make homemade.
- Butter: Unsalted and melted.
- Eggs: Beaten and room temperature.
- Milk: Whole milk is best but 2%, skim, and almond milk are fine.
- Jalapenos: Chopped and seeded.
- Brown sugar: Dark or light will do.
- Sour cream: Whole fat is best.
How do you make slow cooker corn casserole?
- Combine: First, combine the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Spray: Before use, spray the crockpot with cooking spray so it will not stick.
- Cook: Next, cook for three hours on high or six hours on low.
- Tip: Cooking time may vary depending on the size and type of your slow cooker.
How to serve:
Garnish with chopped green onions and serve while it is still warm. Here are some tasty serving ideas:
- Sprinkle with bacon bits for a crunchy topping.
- This makes a perfect side dish for any main meal.
- Add some crushed Ritz crackers mixed with a little bit of melted butter on top of the casserole after it is done cooking.
- It also goes great with a bowl of chili or this meaty crockpot beef stew.
- You could also spoon bread on top of a bed of pasta or rice.
- Similarly, this is delicious with a bowl of soup like homemade turkey soup or this instant pot cabbage roll soup.
Frequently asked questions
What is corn casserole?
Also known as corn pudding, this dish has been around since the old days when Native Americans used water and corn together to make pone.
They probably shared it with the Europeans who came later, and we put our own spin on it over the years. The basic ingredients are corn, milk, sour cream, eggs, and butter with Jiffy muffin mix.
What can I use instead of cream corn?
You can actually make cream corn by mixing a half-cup of milk and one tablespoon of cornstarch into a can of drained whole kernel corn.
Or, in this recipe, double the whole kernel and add one half cup of whole milk or half and half. Soy or coconut milk can also be used but it will not be as creamy.
What if I don’t have any Jiffy corn muffin mix?
Making muffin mix from scratch is not difficult and you only need a few basic ingredients. Just gather 2/3 cup flour, ½ cup cornmeal, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Next, mix until there are no lumps, and you have your mixture.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: Store in an airtight bowl or casserole dish for up to three days in the fridge.
- Freeze: If you are not going to eat it within the next few days, put it in a freezer bag after it cools down, and then store it in the freezer for up to 90 days.
- Reheat: Warm up your leftovers in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or microwave for two minutes.
Slow Cooker Corn Casserole
- 2 8.5 oz boxes corn muffin mix
- 2 14.75 oz cans cream-style sweet corn
- 2 15 oz cans whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 jalapenos (seeded and chopped)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Spray a 4-quart casserole crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Serve garnished with chopped onions.