Corn Casserole is made with only 7 ingredients and is super fluffy, rich, and creamy. This is the perfect side dish for all your holiday meals! When it comes to the best side dishes for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter, nothing beats this delicious Corn Casserole recipe.
We enjoy making comfort and easy side dishes, and this recipe is on top of the list. It can be served with various dishes, but we recommend mixing it up with some Corned Beef, Barbecue Pork Ribs, or Meatloaf.
The Best Corn Casserole
Corn Casserole is always the first dish in mind when it comes to holiday season courses. It is always on our dinner table during this time of the year, and the recipe is nothing short of amazing. It has the perfect texture and balance – a little sweet, yet rich and creamy.
Also, it can be served as is, or alongside the main course. Usually, we make it as a side dish for our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, and despite all of the delicious food we have for the holiday meal, this Corn Casserole is always a favorite!
This recipe also calls for creamed corn, which can also be made at home. However, for simplicity reasons, we used a store-bought version of it, and it works well. But if you prefer to give it a try, feel free to use our homemade version of creamed corn.
Another great benefit of this corn casserole is that you can prepare it a day ahead, and refrigerate it. The next day, simply put in the oven for about 50 minutes and happily enjoy it!
WHAT IS CORN CASSEROLE?
Corn Casserole is traditionally served at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter dinners. It is made of corn, Jiffy corn muffin mix, butter, sour cream, and eggs. It resembles a little bit the cornbread, but is creamier, puffier, and richer, with almost a custard-like texture.
This dish le is usually served as a side dish.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO CORN CASSEROLE?
This recipe is versatile and can be adjusted with your favorite ingredients. For a sweeter casserole, add 1/4 cup white sugar.
Similarly, for a cheesier casserole, add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (one cup gets mixed in, one is sprinkled on top).
To make it with eggs, mix in 2 eggs.
Another great option is to add chives or sliced green onions.
If you love bacon, then feel free to add some on top. It will add plenty of flavors and some crunchiness to it.
WHAT KIND OF CORN IS USED FOR CORN CASSEROLE?
Traditionally, the baked corn casserole asks for creamed corn and sweet corn, or whole kernel corn.
WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE FOR CREAMED CORN?
You can add half and half or milk, for a creamier texture.
For a dairy-free version, you can use soy milk or canned coconut milk for a creamier texture.
Can you cook corn casserole in a crockpot?
Yes! To make this side dish in the slow cooker, dump everything together, and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours. Also, remember that not all the slow cookers are equal.
Therefore, different ones cook differently depending on the brand. So, I recommend watching casserole closely. If you double the recipe it may take longer to cook.
HOW DO YOU MAKE JIFFY CORN MUFFIN MIX COPYCAT?
If you don’t have access to get Jiffy corn muffin mix, or would rather make your own, you can use the below recipe.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt, mix well.
- Add the vegetable oil and mix until the dry mixture is smooth and with no lumps.
- Use this to replace the Jiffy corn muffin mix in this recipe.
CAN YOU MAKE CORN CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
This casserole can be prepared up to one day in advance, then cover tightly with plastic wrap, and put in the refrigerator up to 24 hours before baking. When ready to bake, put in the oven at 350 F for about 50 minutes.
HOW TO DOUBLE CORN CASSEROLE?
We often double this recipe and bake it in a larger pan. Depending on your oven, this may take an additional 10-15 minutes to bake, so plan accordingly.
HOW TO FREEZE CORN CASSEROLE?
- First, let the dish come to room temperature after cooking.
- Then, cover in airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
CAN YOU REHEAT CORN CASSEROLE?
Although is best to eat it fresh and warm right out of the oven, you can definitely reheat leftovers in the microwave (2-3 minutes), or oven (350 F for about 10 minutes or until warm).
MORE CORN RECIPES:
- Creamed Corn
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder
- BBQ Chicken Taquitos with Sweet Corn
Recipe TIPS and Notes
- If you don’t want to use sour cream, you can substitute by using half and half to help lighten up the recipe. Similarly, you can use light sour cream or plain yogurt to cut on calories.
- For a larger portion, double the ingredients and use a 9X13 pan.
- You can garnish with some bacon or green onion on top.
Tools used to make this Corn Casserole:
- 2 cans (15 1/4oz each) whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 can (14 3/4oz) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8.5 oz) Jiffy corn muffin mix (see blog post for how to make your own)
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and finely diced, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set up an oven rack into the middle of the oven.
- Lightly grease with butter or with cooking spray a 12.25x2.5 baking dish, or a baking dish that would hold at least 7 cups of batter.
- In a large bowl, stir and combine all the ingredients until well incorporated. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and level the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. The casserole is done when the edges are golden brown, the center is settled and it looks puffy, light and overall done. A toothpick inserted into the center of the casserole should come one clean or with just a few crumbs attached, but no raw batter.
- Serve warm garnished with chopped fresh green onion or diced chives.