Pineapple Casserole is a classic Southern casserole made with sugar, pineapple, cheese, and butter Ritz crackers. A sweet and savory side dish, that is always a huge hit. Also, for a quick step by step tutorial, check out the full recipe video below.
Homemade Pineapple Casserole
Pineapple Casserole is such an unusual and delicious dish that I totally fell in love with after the first bite. If you like pineapple in savory recipes, you have to try this very easy vegetarian casserole. Sweet canned pineapple chunks are mixed with a bit of flour, sugar and lots of cheddar cheese.
Then, the mixture is topped with crushed Ritz crackers that have been mixed with melted butter. The end result is nothing short of amazing. Also, the sharp cheddar cheese compliments the juicy and sweet pineapple. Similarly, the brown sugar adds a deep caramel underdone, and the top gets buttery and crunchy.
My secret to making this easy casserole is to add a few simple ingredients that will take it up a notch. In addition, adding brown sugar works really well, as it caramelizes and it compliments the pineapple flavor. Similarly, if you want to go all fancy, you can add just a little freshly grated nutmeg.
I like to add an extra layer of cheese, so there is cheese mixed with the pineapple, but also there is another top layer of cheese, on which the cracker crumb rest. Similarly, having that extra layer makes an outstanding casserole as the crackers baked into the melted cheese and create a cheesy, crunchy top that its impossible to resist. Adding more cracker topping is always a good idea as well.
What you need to make Pineapple Casserole:
For exact measures please see the recipe card below. Also, I have attached a step-by-step video instruction on how to prepare this dish.
- Casserole baking dish
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Cheddar cheese
- Canned pineapple chunks
- Ritz crackers or any other buttery cracker
What cheese should be used to make Pineapple Casserole?
The classic recipe is made with cheddar cheese, which I usually don’t substitute. However, if you would like to use something else, some great choices would be Tillamook, Longhorn, Double Glouster, Colby cheese. Also, you can even go for an agenda Gouda cheese.
What do I serve the Pineapple Casserole with?
The casserole can be served on its own or as a side dish, I like to serve it alongside:
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- Pulled Pork
- Pork Chops
- Garlic Lime Pork Loin
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders
How to store the Pineapple Casserole?
I like to wrap it in plastic wrap or to just cover it with foil and refrigerate. In addition, the casserole should only be kept at room temperature when served. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Similarly, it can be served warm or cold, based on taste preference.
To reheat it, you can cover it with foil and put it in a hot oven for about 10 minutes. Also, you can microwave it in a microwave-safe bowl. I do not recommend freezing this casserole.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 30 mins
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
- 3 cups sharp cheddar (grated and divided)
- 2 cans (20 oz each) pineapple chunks (drained)
- 6 tablespoons pineapple juice (reserved from the can)
- 1 1/2 cups cracker crumbs (I used Ritz crackers)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (for greasing the pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Use the 1 tablespoon of butter to grease a medium-size casserole dish. My casserole dish is 12.25 x 2.5-inches.
- In a large bowl, stir together the white sugar, brown sugar, flour and nutmeg is using. Gradually stir in 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Add the well drained pineapple chunks, reserved pineapple juice and stir until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese.
- In a medium bowl, combine cracker crumbs with melted butter, until well blended. Spread the crumb mixture on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.