Broccoli Casserole is a simple and creamy classic side dish that we all grew up loving! Even kids devour this cheesy concoction in a matter of seconds!
The holiday season is almost here and it is time to prepare your menu! We suggest making this great side dish to Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken, Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, or Slow Cooker Glazed Smoked Ham.
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
Broccoli Casserole is a great way to disguise veggies and this recipe will never disappoint! It has a creamy sauce that makes this dish yummy, even for kids!
While you can find the vegetable all-year-round, the peak season would start around October. Hence, this recipe is just in time for your Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
I like how the cheese complements the tender veggies and the colors are so appetizing, too. Even without toppings, guests will still devour it in a heartbeat!
And that is what exactly what happened last weekend when I served it at a family dinner. Good thing that I doubled my recipe and kept one in the fridge which I reheated later. And yes, this makes for a great freezer meal, too!
Is Broccoli Casserole healthy?
Yes! Because the main ingredient which is the vegetable is a superfood containing many vitamins and minerals.
It is particularly rich in vitamin C and K, with content responsible for more than 100% of the recommended daily intake. It also has lots of antioxidants containing those that improve the eyesight and lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
And this dish is a low-carb dish making it keto-friendly. Hence, a lot of those trying to lose weight by reducing carbs intake can benefit from this dish.
How to make Broccoli Casserole
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven as described and grease your baking dish.
- Cook the florets: Steam the florets until the stems are fork-tender.
- Prepare the cheese: In a skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in butter. Then, whisk in flour to make a roux. Continue stirring as you pour in the milk and then, the cream. Add spices and seasonings then, allow to simmer. Once hot and bubbly, remove from heat. Stir in the cheeses.
- Bake: In a large bowl, mix the florets and the sauce. Then, pour everything in the baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake until bubbly and top is nicely browned.
- Serve: Allow it to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
What cheese goes best with broccoli?
It highly depends on you, it is a matter of personal preference. But cheddar is a favorite kind, as well as parmesan and mozzarella. You can add in Fontina, Gruyere, or Monterey Jack, too.
What goes with Broccoli Casserole?
Meaty dishes, especially those that are roasted and grilled, go well with this side dish.
Can this be made with other vegetables?
Certainly! You can substitute the florets with cauliflower which has a similar texture as the broccoli. Or, use baby carrots instead.
You can also add other vegetables like water chestnuts and bean sprouts in one dish.
How to Store:
- Refrigerate: Cool it completely before putting it in the fridge. Store in airtight containers for about 4 to 5 days.
- Freeze: Allow it to cool until room temperature. And, store in airtight containers, too. This will keep in the freezer for 4 to 5 months.
- To reheat: Thaw overnight and then, reheat the same way as you would cook a fresh batch.
- Aside from adding more cheese, you can top it with french fried onions or crackers.
- This is a great recipe to deal with leftover steamed broccoli.
- When buying the vegetable, look for those that are still intact and not yellowish.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 1 hr
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup buttery crackers (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine topping ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot with water to a boil, add the broccoli and cook until tender-crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Drain well.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and melt butter, whisk in flour until smooth.
- Add milk a little at a time until smooth, add paprika, add cream and continue cooking and whisking until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place broccoli in a 2qt casserole dish. Top with cheese sauce and topping mixture.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with a bit of parsley and serve.