Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are the easiest, fluffiest, and creamiest mashed potatoes you will ever try. This is a perfect and comfort side dish that goes well with everything. Feel free to check out the quick video tutorial attached and see how to make this recipe mess-free!
We love cooking delicious and easy dishes in the Instant Pot. Some of the popular meals that would go well with these mashed potatoes would be IP Short Ribs, Pressure Cooker Garlic Sesame Chicken, and IP Corned Beef.
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are so easy to make, guys, they are seriously amazing! Just like the classic mashed potatoes recipe, this one is my favorite dish because it is the perfect comfort food for me. I make them for all the holidays and many times for dinner as my kid is such a huge fan too.
Having this dish extra creamy, rich, and fluffy, is always satisfying. With this delicious recipe, you will have a side dish that is super easy to prepare, very tasty, and ready in no time.
You can make it healthier or pile it with your favorite topping. Also, I am a huge fan of stirring in some Ranch dressing and sprinkling some bacon crumbs on top. Yum!
What type of potatoes should I use to make mashed potatoes?
Idaho, Yukon or Russet potatoes are the best choices as they are high in starch and low in moisture. Also, they will result in fluffier and creamier mashed potatoes. However, if you can’t find them, feel free to use any type.
HOW DO YOU MAKE INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES?
This recipe is super fast and easy. After you make it in the pressure cooker, you will never make this recipe any other way!
- Prepare the spuds: First, start by peeling and chopping the spuds. I like cutting them into larger sizes.
- Add the liquid: Then, add them to the pot along with some salt and pepper, and liquid. You can use water or broth.
- Cook: Next, close the lid, and cook on HIGH for 12 minutes.
- Serve: I love to serve it warm and garnish with some chopped cilantro, parsley, and bacon crumbs.
- Creamy mashed potatoes: For a creamier texture, I like to add heavy cream and butter.
- Cream Cheese Potatoes: Add 3 ounces of cream cheese to the recipe.
- Roasted Garlic: Add 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup parsley. You can also follow this recipe.
- Add herbs: Want more flavor? Then, add some homemade ranch seasoning or Cajun seasoning.
- Vegan: For a vegan option, use dairy-free products.
HOW DO YOU MASH POTATOES?
The quickest and easiest way to mash them would be using a potato masher. After they are cooked, just use the masher and gently push into them.
Mashed Potatoes Toppings Suggestion:
- Chopped green onion or parsley
- Bacon crumbs
- Sliced jalapeños
- Cheddar cheese
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Sour cream or herbed butter
- French fried onions
- Caramelized onions or mushrooms
How can I make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Healthier?
To cut on the calories, you can add skim milk, a few tablespoons of whipped butter, and light sour cream to them.
How do I make Ranch Mashed Potatoes?
After I mash the potatoes, I like to stir in 1/2 cup of Ranch salad dressing, they taste amazing!
Refrigerate: To store leftover, let the dish completely cool first. Then, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Use a freezer-proof dish or container, and freeze leftover for up to 3 months.
How to reheat mashed potatoes?
Add them to a microwave-safe dish and heat them at half power for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the potatoes are hot, stir well, and add additional warm cream or milk and butter, as needed. Stir well to combine.
What is a “Quick Release”?
A quick pressure release is when you open the valve and allow the steam to release quickly. If you’re using an Instant Pot, you turn the valve from sealing to venting to release the pressure. Make sure you don’t stand over the steam as it is very hot.
More easy side dishes:
- Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Loaded Cauliflower Bake
- Fondant Potatoes
- Cheesy Baked Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- A 6q Instant Pot is used for this recipe.
- To double the recipe, go with an 8-quart instant pot.
- Also, I drain the water after I cook the potatoes and add back as needed, to avoid making them too watery.
- You can use whole milk or skim milk instead of heavy cream. I prefer to use the cream as it makes the creamiest and richest mashed potatoes.
- Preferably, I use unsalted butter. However, if you use the salted version, ensure to taste it after mixing it in. This way you can adjust if needed.
- You can peel your spuds, or leave the peels. Just try using organic spuds in that case.
- To make them fluffier, you can use a mixer to fluff them up.
- Use garlic powder for garlic mashed potatoes, or some caramelized mashed garlic.
- There is no need to cut the spuds into small chunks. Just slice each into large rounds.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are the easiest, fluffiest and creamiest mashed potatoes you will ever try. The perfect side dish with this foolproof recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 12 minutes Total time: 22 mins