Potato Gratin combines French and Italian flavors in the most delicious, easy to make, and comforting potato dish. Thinly sliced potatoes are cooked in a creamy and irresistible Alfredo sauce.
We love making easy side dishes that would be great for parties or day to day dinners. Other reader favorites include Bacon Ranch and Cheese Mashed Potatoes, Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes.
Potato Gratin Recipe
This Potato Gratin is my new way of serving delicious potatoes, it is full of flavor and also delicious. This recipe is also incredibly easy to make, especially if you have a mandoline to slice the potatoes.
Everyone who tried this dish was amazed and fell in love with the amazing Italian flavors it packs. This recipe is my Italian take on the classic side dish that is loaded with fresh Italian cheese and herbs.
What is Potato Gratin?
Gratin is a well-known culinary technique in which an ingredient is thinly sliced, usually layered, and topped with a browned crust made of grated cheese, or a sauce. It originated in French cuisine and is usually baked.
Is Potato Gratin the same as dauphinoise?
The main difference is that the potato gratin is usually made using pre-cooked potatoes, that are cooked in cream and topped with cheese. While Gratin Dauphinoise is made of thinly-sliced, not pre-cooked potatoes that cook in cream.
Why You’ll Love This Potato Gratin:
- First, it’s bursting with flavor and coated in the most delicious cheesy and creamy sauce.
- Also, it’s incredibly easy to make and perfect for a crowd.
- Hearty and tasty it can be served as a side dish or a vegetarian meal accompanied by a salad.
- In addition, leftovers are delicious.
- A favorite at Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter dinner.
- Easy to take to a party.
How to make Potato Gratin:
For a step-by-step video tutorial, watch the recipe video attached. But the general steps are as follows:
- Prepare the Potatoes: First, clean, peel, and slice the potatoes. You can also use pre-cooked potatoes, this will reduce the baking time in half.
- Make the Sauce: Next, follow the instructions to make the Bechamel sauce. It is simply made by creating a roux and after that adding the milk, cheese, and seasoning.
- Combine: After that, combine the sauce with the potatoes and bake.
Tools used to make this Bechamel Potatoes Recipe:
- Mandoline – a lifesaver when it comes to slicing veggies
- 9×9 inch pan – I use it for many recipes, brownies, fudge, and blondies. Its quality is great and I like the perfect measurements, it works great for smaller batch recipes.
Baked potato with bechamel sauce Recipe Tips:
- The Italian seasoning is key here because it’s what will give the sauce that amazing aroma. Hence, don’t be shy about using it.
- Also, I recommend using full-fat cream or whole milk. Because, in a recipe that is so cheesy and creamy, you really don’t want to take shortcuts or cutting calories.
- The potatoes should be thinly sliced, but not paper-thin, a mandolin slicer would be very helpful.
- If you prefer the sauce spicier, you can add some cayenne pepper, taste, and adjust.
- In addition, other delicious mix-ins would be bacon crumbs or jalapeno peppers.
- Use full-fat mozzarella cheese for the most luxurious creamy texture.
What to serve with it?
Potato gratin is the perfect side dish to serve with:
HOW TO FREEZE Potato Gratin?
To freeze leftover, transfer the mixture to a buttered 9-by-13-inch freezer-to-oven baking dish. Then, cover tightly with aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, place into a casserole dish and bake frozen and covered with foil, at 350°F, for up to 1 hour.
Other great potato recipes:
Creamy Potato Gratin
Potato Gratin combines French and Italian flavors in the most delicious, easy to make and comforting potato dish.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes Total time: 1 hr 45 mins