Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin combines French and Italian flavors in the most delicious, easy to make and comforting potato dish.
Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin have been served for dinner tonight and honestly this dish was so good that it could pass as a main meal! Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin is my new way of serving delicious potatoes, everyone who tried this dish was amazed and fell in love with the amazing Italian & French flavors it packs. This recipe is my Italian take on classic Potato Gratin that is loaded with fresh Italian cheese and herbs.
Why You’ll Love This Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin:
- Bursting with flavor and coated in the most delicious cheesy and creamy sauce
- Incredibly easy to make and perfect for a crowd
- Hearty and tasty it can be served as a side dish or a vegetarian meal accompanied by a salad
- Leftovers are delicious
- Comfort food at it’s best
- Easy to take to a party
Tips & Tricks on how to make the best Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin:
- The Italian seasoning is key here, its what will give the sauce that amazing aroma
- Use full fat cream or whole milk, in a recipe that is so cheesy and creamy, you really don’t want to take shortcuts or cutting calories
- The potatoes should be thinly sliced, but not paper thin, a mandolin slicer would be very helpful
- If you prefer the sauce more spicier, you can add some cayenne pepper, taste and adjust
- Other delicious mix ins would be bacon crumbs or jalapeño peppers
- Use full fat mozzarella cheese for the most luxurious creamy texture
Tools/Ingredients I used to make this Italian Béchamel Sauce Potato Gratin Recipe:
- Mandolin – a life saver when it comes to slicing veggies
- 9×9 inch pan – I use it for many recipes, brownies, fudge and blondies. It’s quality is great and I like the perfect measurements, it works great for smaller batch recipes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8.8 ounces mozzarella cheese + 1 cup, shredded
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9inch deep baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is pale golden for about 5 minutes.
- Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of milk, cook for a few minutes and add the remaining 2 cups of milk, whisk until smooth. Cook mixture stirring constantly until it starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and is very creamy, about 8 – 10 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in 8.8 ounces of cheese until melted.
- Mix the potatoes with the béchamel sauce and transfer the mixture to the baking dish, top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and transfer the dish into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour or 1 hour and 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
Gimme all the potatoes!