Homemade Alfredo Sauce is rich, creamy, and super easy to make from scratch. It is one of the best recipes you can get that goes perfectly with your favorite pasta or pizza! Check out this homemade recipe step by step video below.
A delicious homemade sauce will go a long way on many dishes. It is our favorite sauce to use because it is so easy to make with few simple ingredients, and is always rich and flavorful. Once you try this recipe, you will never go back to the store-bought jar bottled version. Whether you use it in Tuscan Chicken Pasta or Creamy Chicken Mushroom Casserole, we believe this is the best sauce out there!
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Homemade Alfredo Sauce is a true indulgence for various meals, and always welcomed for dinner. We love to make it once a week, and then store it in the fridge. Our son is a huge fan of it, so we make sure we have some to go with pasta. Also, this is such an easy dish to make as it only takes about 5-10 minutes to whip up a batch! This recipe will yield about two cups, but you can easily double the ingredients for larger portions.
This is one of those simple yet comfort meals that the whole family enjoys. You can conveniently have a restaurant-quality dish easily and quickly made in your own kitchen. Once you try it, it will become the most popular sauce!
WHAT IS ALFREDO SAUCE?
The dish originated from Italy which is usually made of butter, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Due to its flavor and popularity, this is one of the most ordered and used sauces everywhere. Also, it is easily modifiable as you can add to it various flavors, such as garlic, pepper, or seasoning of choice.
How to Make Homemade Alfredo Sauce?
The traditional/classic way requires some simple ingredients and only a few steps. Also, please watch the quick video attached.
- The first step would be to warm the butter and cream in a large saucepan over low heat. Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes and whisk while cooking.
- Next, add the garlic and seasonings and continue to whisk the mixture for another 1 or 2 minutes. Another option is to brown the garlic in butter first, for a deeper flavor.
- Lastly, add shredded parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. It is that simple.
How do you make Alfredo sauce thicker?
If for some reason it is too thin or runny, you can fix it using these two ways:
- Adding cream cheese. Over low heat, add slowly pieces of cream cheese to it and stir till thickened. This will make the sauce creamier and also thicken it up.
- Making a Roux. Add in an equal amount of butter and flour (about 1 teaspoon) to a pan, and mix/whisk well over low heat. Cook it for about one minute. Next, add the mixture to the sauce and stir continuously until simmering.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce tips:
- Use good Cheese. Since cheese plays a central role here, it is recommended to use only fresh Parmesan cheese when you make your homemade sauce. The pre-packed and grated versions will not taste the same, and also will not melt as well. So it’s best to buy a block of fresh Parmesan cheese and grate it on your own. It will taste so much better!
- Avoid separating the sauce. To avoid the culinary horror of sauce separating as you’re whisking it together, make sure you are whisking it while ingredients are added and DO NOT overheat it. Any melted cheese sauce will break once it gets very hot since the proteins in the cheese seize up and clump together. To prevent this, make sure you cook it over low heat and for a short time.
- Let it simmer. Cooking time for this recipe is very short, so make sure not to overdo it. Simmer it over low heat and whisk well. Let it simmer for 1 minutes or so, but not boil. Boiling will separate and ruin the sauce, which you want to avoid.
Can you store Alfredo Sauce?
Absolutely! First, let it cool completely before refrigerating. Once cooled, transfer it into airtight containers or closed lidded jar. Then, place it in the refrigerator and store it for up to 5 days.
Please note, that skin will form on the surface after a while, which will thicken its consistency. This is totally normal. Simply shake or mix with a fork before consuming.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 15 mins
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese (optional - it makes the sauce creamier)
- 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese (freshly grated )
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
In a large skillet over medium heat, add butter, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese (if using). Stir over low heat for about 2 minutes until melted and it starts to lightly simmer.
Whisk in the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper for one minute. Note: For extra garlicky flavor, first melt the butter, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add the ingredients from step 1.
Reduce heat to low and add in the Parmesan cheese, continue to whisk until melted.
- Serve immediately with your favorite pasta.
For a very subtle nutty flavor, sprinkle some nutmeg on top before serving.