White Pizza Casserole is a delicious blend of cheesy white pizza sauce, pasta and lots of pepperoni, baked to crispy perfection in a casserole dish.
White Pizza Casserole is such a delicious dinner that is easy to make and can feed a large family. I can never say no to cheese and pasta and if it would be my way, I would probably survive on pizza and ice cream. Well, I do love greens and healthy meals, but pizza and pasta are my weaknesses. Now, wouldn’t it be great if the two were combined? Adding pizza to pasta? I have seen that done and I am NOT a fan. But making a White Pizza Casserole from pasta? That is one delicious decision that you will not regret. This easy meal is always a heat, its cheesy, with a crispy pepperoni top, and all the flavors of a tasty pizza in casserole form.
Looking for more cheesy recipes? Check these out:
- The Ultimate Cheese Ball
- Million Dollar Cheese Dip
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken Spinach
- Chicken Jalapeno Casserole
- Best Chicken Spinach Lasagna
Mix-Ins Ideas for this White Pizza Casserole Recipe:
- Pitted and diced black olives taste delicious in this White Pizza Casserole dish.
- Grape Tomatoes – you can cut the in half or leave them whole. I do not recommend using sliced tomatoes as they add extra moisture.
- Diced Bell Peppers – you can add them raw to the casserole or sauté them for 3-4 minutes before adding.
- Drained Canned Pineapple Chunks – for a Hawaiian twist.
- Sliced Jalapeños – remove the seeds, or leave them in for extra heat.
- Sliced Sausage – I like to brown it for a few minutes before mixing it in.
- Cubed Chicken – use grilled chicken, leftover rotisserie chicken, or sear some chicken on the stove until golden brown, before mixing into the casserole mixture.
- Spinach – do not use frozen, it will add extra water to the recipe.
- Drained Canned Artichokes – make sure you drain them well, and chop them.
- Bacon – I like to use store-bought pre-cooked bacon to save time.
- Caramelized Onions – you can use fresh red onions or caramelize some shallots.
- Mushrooms – slice them first, you can add them raw or you can sauté them for 4-5 minutes.
This recipe is so easy and adaptable that you can add your favorite mix-ins just like you would choose them to top a pizza. The combinations are endless, you just have to use your imagination and use the ones you like more. I am a huge fan of adding just pepperoni. We also like this casserole with spicy jalapeños, sausage and chicken. You can make it vegetarian by mixing it mushrooms, tomatoes and a handful of fresh spinach. Or transform into a Margherita casserole by adding 1/3 cup pesto and cherry tomatoes, top it with fresh buffalo mozzarella for the ultimate cheesy top!
White Pizza Casserole is a delicious blend of cheesy white pizza sauce, pasta and lots of pepperoni baked to crispy perfection in a casserole dish.
- 4 cups penne pasta
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 oz pepperoni's
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream warm
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme diced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped leaves only
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large skillet or saucepan over low heat, add butter once almost melted and diced onion and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. T
Add the flour and stir to distribute flour. Increase heat up to medium and cook for a minute or two stirring continuously.
Slowly stir in warmed cream in a slow drizzle and stir constantly to avoid lumps.
Bring cream mixture to a very slight simmer and cook until it thickens slightly.
When the sauce is the consistency of a gravy, season it with fresh thyme, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Remove it from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
Cook penne pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Add cooked pasta, 3/4 of the pepperoni's, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and the white pizza sauce to a large bowl and gently toss to combine.
Pour mixture into a greased 9x13'' pan. Sprinkle 1 1/s cups of mozzarella cheese on top (you can use more or less cheese), top with remaining pepperoni pieces.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
For a golden brown top, broil for the last minutes of baking.