Slow Cooker Tomato Soup is a comforting, rich, creamy, and hearty dish that is perfect any time of the year! Prepare it hassle-free using the crockpot, and your house will smell amazing and full of tomato flavors!
Crockpot Creamy Tomato Soup
This Creamy Crockpot Tomato Soup is a delicious soup full of tomato flavor for the whole family to enjoy. A bowl of this warm soup is perfect to serve during a rainy day or chilly day, with a slice of crusty bread on the side.
Also, it is a simple recipe that requires minimal prep steps. There is not a better comforting homemade soup that can be served as an appetizer or main dish! And yes, it is so easy that you can make it hands-off with your crockpot.
The main ingredient, the tomatoes, are so popular and versatile, and a great blanket for different flavors. It is also a great way to get some vitamin c and other antioxidants into your body. Other ways we enjoy this veggie, is by adding it to a salad or slice it thinly and top your favorite pizza with it. Or, you can even add eggs to make a frittata or add eggs to it to make shakshuka!
With colder weather approaching, we crave some much-needed soup and a melty grilled cheese sandwich to go with it. Try this easy recipe and I know that your family will love it as much as ours does!
Is Tomato Soup Healthy?
Yes! Tomatoes are packed with vitamins and minerals that are good for the eyes, heart, and skin. Also, it has dietary fiber and antioxidants that can also help prevent cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
While eating them raw in salads is already beneficial, cooking it will not exactly be detrimental. In this recipe, since they are cooked it makes them a better source of lycopene, a phytochemical that can be absorbed by our body.
Once you got your crockpot ready, then, it is time to prep the ingredients! For this recipe, you will need these simple ingredients:
- fresh tomatoes – During tomato season, I love using cherry tomatoes as they are flavorful and have a nice sweet tone to them. You can easily find them in the local grocery store. If not, feel free to use whatever you have available. Plum tomatoes, or Roma tomatoes. In addition, you can use canned tomatoes.
- seasonings: Such as garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil leaves, salt (you may use kosher), ground black pepper.
- vegetable stock or chicken broth
- olive oil
You may also other herbs like dried thyme, or other vegetables like celery, red bell pepper, and carrots.
In addition, it is best to use fresh garlic and onions rather than the seasonings. But this is totally up to you.
How do you make Slow Cooker Tomato Soup?
- Roast: First, preheat the oven at 425 degrees. Then, put in the tomatoes and the garlic drizzled with olive oil. Take them out once you observe charring. This step adds another dimension of flavor. Another option is to sauté the tomatoes.
- Cook: Next, put everything in the crockpot except for the cream. If you will use a low setting, it will take 6 hours to finish. Otherwise, it will only take 3 hours on a high setting. During the last few minutes, stir in the cream.
- Puree: Once done, using an immersion blender, blend it until everything is smooth and has a creamy texture. Then, put it back in the crockpot to keep it warm.
- Serve: Lastly, garnish with some croutons and serve!
Stove top tomato soup:
Do you want to make this delicious and creamy dish on the stovetop?! Then, try my Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup. It is a great recipe to enjoy during the weekends!
Instant Pot version:
When I am short on time, I make this Instant Pot Tomato Soup. It is super quick and easy to prepare, and ready in less than 1 hour. Just perfect for busy weeknights!
What can I add to tomato soup to make it taste better?
- Herbs and seasonings: The original recipe calls for dried and fresh basil, and I mostly stick to them. However, for extra aromas and flavors, feel free to add some dried rosemary, thyme, parsley, or even chopped mint. In addition, ranch seasoning is a great addition for a boost of flavor.
- Add extra heavy cream or butter: To make this homemade tomato soup extra cream, stir in some butter and more heavy cream. In addition, you could use creamy coconut milk or almond milk.
- Bacon: Garnishing it with some crunchy bacon on top is always a great idea. Use more or less based on your preference.
- Tomato paste or tomato sauce: This will intensify the tomato flavors. Simply, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste to the mixture along with the seasoning. Also, ensure to stir it well with the rest of the ingredients and add some liquid so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Extra cheese: I love to garnish this creamy tomato soup with shredded parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese.
What to serve with it?
I love serving it with garlic bread, cheese sandwiches, whole wheat bread, or dinner rolls.
How do you make tomato soup creamy?
You can add the cream just like what we did in this recipe. Any kind of cream may it be heavy, half and half, or light will do.
How to Store leftovers?
- Refrigerate: First, let it cool completely and transfer to airtight containers. Refrigerate it for up to 3 or 5 days.
- Freeze: If you plan to freeze it for later, do not add the cream just yet. To freeze, let it cool completely and transfer to freezer bags. Squeeze out air and seal. It will keep for up to 3 or 4 months. Also, you could store it in small batches.
- To reheat: Thaw and reheat on the stovetop. Stir in the cream towards the end.
More delicious slow cooker recipes:
- If you like it spicy, add in red chili pepper flakes.
- Also, feel free to add dairy but make sure to do it towards the end of the cooking process. This is done to prevent this delicious soup from curdling.
- Instead of an immersion blender, you could use a food processor or even a regular blender.
Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
Garlic Roasted Tomatoes:
- 3 lbs cherry tomatoes (washed and halved lengthwise)
- 10 cloves garlic (peeled and smashed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (deseeded and diced)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place tomatoes and garlic cloves on a baking tray, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and dried Italian herbs, roast for about 25 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and charred on the tops.
- Remove tray from oven and transfer the tomatoes and garlic to the slow cooker with all the juices from roasting.
- Add the diced onion, red bell pepper, season with dried basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste and broth, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on High for 3 hours or on Low for 6 hours.
- When there are 30 minutes of cooking remaining, stir in the heavy cream, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or a Vitamix, puree the mixture until it’s very smooth. I transferred the soup in two batches into the blender to puree it, but if you use an immersion blender you can puree the soup directly in the crockpot.
- Serve garnished with grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3-4 days or freeze for later.