Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup is hearty, cheesy, and meaty! It is perfect for the cold season and preparing it in the crockpot makes it so easy and hassle-free!
Crockpot Lasagna Soup
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup smells heavenly as it simmers. It just makes it all the more appetizing and the colors are wonderful, too.
The tomato sauce adds in richness and the ground beef gives it a meaty dimension. Combined with herbs and spices, the vegetables and lasagna give a subtle balance to tie everything together. Also, the cheesy top makes it so yummy!
It has fiber, carbs, and protein which makes it one healthy dish that is perfect for any weeknight dinner. So, if you like the lightness of soups, but something hearty too, then, this dish is a great choice!
Especially now that the weather is freezing, this dish is that kind of comfort food that will just warm you up inside. And you get to have pasta in it, too, so that is good news for pasta-lovers. It is like two dishes in one ultimate comfort food, without having to layer the lasagna!
How to make Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- Brown the meat: In a skillet, cook the meat until no longer pink and season with salt and pepper. Drain off any excess fat. Then, add in the aromatics and sauté.
- Place in the crockpot: Once done, put the meat in the crockpot along with the other ingredients minus the lasagna. Turn the settings to low and cook for 7 to 8 hours, or set on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Put the pasta: Place the lasagna around 30 minutes before the end of the prescribed cooking time. This ensures that it will just be al dente for when you turn off the crockpot, it will continue to cook.
- Serve: Top with cheese and parsley or basil, and serve in bowls. Enjoy!
What type of pasta is best to use?
You can experiment on the brands, but what works best for me is dry instant lasagna sheets. I cut them up into smaller pieces before putting them in.
About the shape, you can use any type. Campanelle and Mafaldine are popular choices, too.
How to make Lasagna Soup in the Pressure Cooker?
You can check my recipe for this using the Instant Pot. Using the IP is much faster, so you can also use that if you are pressed on time.
What are the best toppings for it?
The cheesy part is the top where you also sprinkle your favorite herbs. What I suggest for you to put is a combination of your favorite cheeses like ricotta and the ones that I used in this dish. You can add only parmesan, only mozzarella, or a combination of both.
Can you make Crockpot Lasagna Soup in advance?
Yes! Here are some suggestions on how to go about it:
- Brown the beef in advance and refrigerate it.
- Prepare the lasagna and simply add it last or around 15 minutes before you finish.
- Freeze the soup ingredients minus the pasta in freezer bags then, simply thaw and pour into the crockpot for later.
- Prepare the dish and just reheat it when ready to serve. Read on for the storage instructions.
How to Store it:
- Refrigerate: Store it in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze: You can freeze this dish for later once done but without the pasta because, in general, it does not freeze well as they become mushy. So, prepare this dish up until the point before you put the lasagna. Then, let it cool entirely, put into freezer bags, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Simply thaw in the fridge, reheat on the stove and add in freshly cooked pasta. Or, heat in the crockpot again.
- You can make this dish using ground poultry. You can add sausage, too.
- For the tomato sauce, you can also substitute marinara sauce which already has herbs and spices in it.
- Serve it with crusty bread or dinner rolls.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 8 hours Total time: 8 hrs 30 mins
- 1 lb ground beef (or sausage)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 medium carrot (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cans 14.5oz each diced tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 2 cans 8oz each tomato sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ - ¾ box lasagna noodles (uncooked)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Grated mozzarella cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the meat, breaking it with a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink and add the onion and garlic. Stir and keep cooking the beef and nicely browned, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Transfer the meat to the slow cooker and add the other ingredients minus the lasagna noodles. Turn the settings to low and cook for 7 to 8 hours, or set on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before cooking time ends, add the break and add the lasagna noodles, stir well and cook, keep an eye on the soup, for the pasta to be al dente.
- When done cooking, serve the soup topped with cheese, parsley or basil.