Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup the ultimate comfort food that is cheesy, hearty, and loaded with veggies. It is super easy to make in the crockpot and just ideal during colder days!
Creamy Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup
What I really like about this recipe is how simple and easy it is to make it. All you have to do is cut the veggies, and put everything in the pot. This works perfectly for me, especially during my busy schedule. I simply dump everything in the crockpot in the morning, set the cooking time, and go with my day.
When I return home in the evening, I have a delicious and flavorful dinner waiting for the whole family to enjoy. The flavors are just amazing, and you can easily adjust it by adding more herbs, various cheeses, or toppings. All in all, this is probably one of my favorite go-to soups when it comes to colder days.
Also, it is low-carb, satisfying, and super delicious! A bowl of this warm and comfortable meal always puts a smile on my face.
Is cauliflower soup healthy?
Yes. This dish is quite nutritious. Cauliflower is full of nutrients and rich in vitamins. It is high in fiber, and vitamins B and C. In addition, it rich in antioxidants which help reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
In this recipe version, we combined it with cheese which makes it creamy comfort food with a healthy dose of nutrients.
Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup Ingredients:
- Cauliflower: You will need about 1.5 pounds (approximately one head).
- Potatoes; Starch ones work the best in this recipe. I recommend using russet type, peeled and cut.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter so you can control the saltiness.
- Broth: Homemade chicken stock works really well here. However, you can use a store-bought broth or stock.
- Olive oil: For sauteing the aromatics.
- Onion and fresh garlic
- Seasonings: Dried parsley and fresh dill are what I mainly use. Feel free to add some garlic powder, paprika, or dried rosemary if you desire.
- Leeks: It adds quite a lot of flavor. I am using the white ends only. If not a fan, simply omit it altogether.
- Blonde beer: Go with what you have on hand or what you like to drink.
- Cheese: I use shredded sharp cheddar most of the time.
How to make Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup?
- Cut the veggies: Start by cutting uniformly the cauliflower florets, potatoes, and leeks. Then, add them to the pot along with onion, garlic, and seasoning.
- Cook: Pour in the chicken stock and gently mix all the ingredients together. Cover the lid, and slow cook it for 7-8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH.
- Blend: Once the dish is ready, add everything to a blender. Using the pulse function, pulse the mixture until smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.
- Add cream and cheese: Next, add the blended mixture back to the pot, and stir in cream, butter, and shredded cheese. Stir well.
- Garnish and serve: Garnish it with chopped green onions or parsley, and serve warm.
Recipe Variations and substitutions:
- Swap the veggies: If you do not have cauliflower on hand, substitute it with broccoli.
- Stovetop version: To make it on the stovetop, follow the Stovetop Creamy Cauliflower Soup recipe.
- Instant Pot: You can easily and quickly make this dish in the pressure cooker. Follow the Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup recipe here.
- Use various cheeses: Alternatively, cheddar cheese can be substituted with other types. Colby, gruyere, will work just as fine.
- Make it vegetarian: For a vegetarian version, use veggie broth instead of chicken stock. Also, replace the butter with vegan butter and vegan cheese.
- Sweet potatoes: Instead of regular potatoes, you can use sweet potatoes. They are equally delicious, and healthier.
- Low Carb: For a low carb version, use turnips instead of potatoes.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup?
- Bacon crumbs
- Chopped parsley or jalapenos
- A dollop of sour cream
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Red chili
- Shallot crisps
How to store cauliflower soup?
First, let it completely cool. Then, transfer leftovers into an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze it?
You could, but I do not recommend it because it contains cream and cheese and it will get soggy.
More delicious soup recipes:
- Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- Weight Loss Soup
- Homemade Turkey Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- To thicken the soup, add some cornstarch to some warm milk and whisk it together. Then, add it into the soup and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Also, if you like it on the chunkier side, set aside some potatoes before pureeing.
- Be careful when blending it and do not overfill the blender as it will spill all over. It is best to blend on a low setting and in smaller batches.
- If you do not have had and half or cream, you can substitute it with whole milk.
Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 2.5 pounds cauliflower florets (1 large cauliflower head)
- 2 large Russet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth for vegetarian)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened and cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz sharp cheddar (grated)
- 8 oz fontina cheese (grated)
- Chopped dill
- Chopped parsley
- Chopped green onions
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Bacon crumbles
- Chop the cauliflower into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, onion, garlic, and butter to the slow cooker. Add the broth and seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, dried parsley, dried oregano, stir well.
- Add cream cheese cubes on top.
- Deglaze the pot with the beer if using, scrape the bottom using a wooden spoon.
- Close and cook on LOW for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours.
- 30 minutes before cooking time is done, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth, leaving just a few chunks. Add the cream, and shredded cheeses. If the soup is too thick add more cream or broth.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Let the soup cook for 30 more minutes, for the cheese to fully melt.
- Serve garnished with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!