Last updated on May 25th, 2022 at 03:53 pmJump to Recipe
Classic Caesar Salad Recipe [Video]
Caesar Salad is a light and refreshing side dish that has croutons, a creamy homemade dressing. Served on a bed of crispy romaine lettuce and topped with parmesan cheese.
Classic Caesar Salad Recipe
This classic Caesar Salad recipe is so easy to make from scratch. Yes, even the croutons! And my favorite part of this recipe is being able to offer my family something fresh and healthy!
Making salads, especially this one, is a simple process but the results are outstanding. It pairs well with almost any meaty main dish.
Did you know that the dressing was originally made with raw egg? You whisk it so that it creates an emulsion with olive oil.
But to make things easier, we will use my homemade version! It eliminates the risk of having to consume raw egg, but still, it is delicious!
What goes into a Classic Caesar Salad
- Croutons: you will need French baguettes, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Dressing: more garlic, anchovy paste, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, sour cream, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Greens: Romaine lettuce or for a healthier version add some kale and spinach.
- Cheese: Shredded parmesan cheese.
How to make homemade Caesar Salad
- Prepare the croutons: Divide the French baguette in half lengthwise, then, slice 1/4-inch thick pieces. In a bowl, combine the oil and minced garlic. Then, drizzle the mixture over the baguette pieces placed on a baking sheet. Toss until everything is coated. Line them up and toast in a preheated oven until crispy.
- Make the dressing: In a bowl, combine the ingredients as described in the above section.
- Prepare the lettuce: Rinse and dry the leaves, then chop or tear in smaller pieces. Place them in a bowl.
- Assemble: Sprinkle parmesan cheese on the lettuce and drizzle the dressing on top. Toss everything, then serve.
How to make Caesar Dressing
- Make a paste: Combine the first 5 ingredients as listed above.
- Combine: Whisk together the rest of the dressing ingredients.
- Store: You can put this in an airtight container to use later. Or, drizzle over your lettuce.
You can refer to this Caesar dressing recipe for the exact proportions. Feel free to omit the anchovies if you like. Even the traditional version does not have them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Best lettuce for Caesar Salad?
The best lettuce to use is romaine. Keep it cold and crispy by cutting it. Remember to get only the freshest ones!
What to serve with Caesar Salad?
- Protein: You may add protein by putting chunks of grilled chicken, pork, bacon, or boiled eggs.
- Veggies: Make it healthier by adding tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers or mushrooms.
- Greens: Make is with a mix of greens like spinach and kale.
- Pasta: Make it heartier by adding pasta, you can use whole wheat if you prefer.
How to store Caesar Salad?
It is always best to keep the romaine fresh. As for the rest of the elements, you can store them for up to a week.
Refrigerate the dressing and store the croutons at room temperature, sealed in an airtight container.
Classic Caesar Salad
- 1/2 French Baguette cut in half sliced into 1/4" thick slices
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Caesar Salad:
- 1 large romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded or shaved
Follow me on InstagramFollow
How to Make Croutons:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the bread slices in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil with minced garlic and drizzle the mixture over the croutons.
- Toss until evenly coated.
- Arrange the bread in a single layer onto a baking sheet and bake until lightly golden and crisp, about 10-12 minutes.
Caesar Salad Dressing:
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl, stir well and set aside.
Assemble the Salad:
- Rinse and dry the romaine lettuce,
- Chop it and layer it in a large serving bowl, sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese, add the cooled croutons and drizzle 1/2 of the dressing on top. Toss gently and if needed add more dressing until the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations