Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup is thick, creamy and incredibly cheesy. Made easy in the crockpot, this is the perfect comfort meal.
Crockpot recipes are such a time saver and bonus points for being so delicious as well. We highly recommend you try our famous Crockpot Meatloaf, the delicious BBQ Ribs and obviously the super tender Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potatoes.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup is so easy to make in the crockpot. This is one of our favorite ways to prepare this classic recipe. By slow cooking it, all the flavors get to blend in together in an irresistible end result.
We used broccoli florets, carrots, and celery to make this recipe. Also, the veggies are perfectly tender and infused with the delicious flavors from the chicken broth and all that amazing melted cheddar cheese.
- You can make this meal with just broccoli, we like adding carrots for some sweetness and the celery for extra flavor.
- In addition, light cream can also be replaced with half and a half.
- Use veggie broth instead of chicken broth for a vegetarian version.
- Don’t fully puree it, leave some of the veggies intact, they will add a nice texture.
- Also, you can add as much cheddar cheese as you like, you can even add some Asiago cheese or Gruyere.
- Best is to grate your own cheese instead of using pre-shredded.
HOW TO MAKE THIS MEAL ON THE STOVE?
You can easily make this recipe on the stove. Just follow this link it will be ready in about 30 minutes and it tastes delicious!
HOW TO MAKE Broccoli Cheddar Soup IN THE INSTANT POT?
The pressure cooker is such a time-saver, this recipe is ready in minutes! You can just follow this link to print the Instant Pot version of this recipe.
Crockpot BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP TOPPINGS:
This meal is already delicious, but you can elevate it even more if you use your favorite topping. Find our suggestions below:
- More cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onion
- Diced chives
- A dollop of sour cream
HOW TO FREEZE the soup:
- First, it is very important to let it fully cool.
- Next, use a cup to transfer it to freezer-safe quart bags or to a large air-tight container.
- If using freezer bags, squeeze out excess air and seal the bags. Lay flat in the freezer.
- Store for up to 3-4 months.
HOW TO REHEAT it:
- Transfer frozen soup from the freezer to the refrigerator and thaw it overnight.
- Another option is to add the frozen bag to a large casserole dish and place it under running warm water.
- Then, transfer it to a dutch oven or saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Keep in mind that when reheating this recipe you may have to add a bit of milk or cream, ¼ cup at a time.
- Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 4 hours 30 minutes Total time: 4 hrs 45 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3-4 cups chopped broccoli florets (no stems)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 3 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups yellow sharp cheddar cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese (freshly grated)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups heavy cream (or light cream)
- In a 6qt or 8qt slow cooker add chopped onion, minced garlic, broccoli, carrot, celery, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and butter. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
- In a large cup combine cream and cornstarch until smooth.
- Uncover soup and add the cornstarch mix. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 20 minutes on high.
- Add the cheeses, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheeses melt. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm and top with additional shredded cheese if desired. Enjoy!