Slow Cooker Ribs are super tender and easy to make. With little effort, you will have the most incredible melt-in-your-mouth ribs. Cooked in a delicious homemade BBQ sauce, this dish is far better than at any restaurants.
Ribs are probably one of our favorite meals. We make them over and over in various form, but hands down, this slow cooker short ribs recipe results in the most fall off the bone tender pork ribs. They are covered in a delicious barbecue sticky glaze with caramelized edges. You can enjoy them as is, or mix them up with some corn on the cob, roasted potatoes, or some baked beans.
Slow Cooker Ribs
Slow Cooker Ribs are perfectly cooked every time we make them. Because they cook in the crockpot over a longer period of time, it results in moist and flavorful meat. With this crockpot ribs recipe, you don’t have to worry about them being dry or not cooked right. The crockpot does all the work, and anyone can easily master this recipe.
It requires a few simple ingredients, and only 15 minutes to prepare. Then simply set the cooking time and place them inside the pot for a perfect dinner.
This homemade recipe will work for any style of pork ribs. Usually, we go with baby back, because we are just so used to them. However, country-style or spare ribs will work just as well. Once slowly cooked, we brush them with the delicious homemade BBQ sauce. Then, we broil them for an extra 3-4 minutes. This makes them crispy on the outside with nice caramelized edges.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER RIBS?
- The first step would be to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. If the membrane is still attached, it is best to remove it, as it will result in more flavorful and tender meat. Just flip the ribs so the meaty part is face down. Then, slide your fingers under the membrane and rip it off. You can use a paper towel to hold and yank it off.
- Next, cut the rack into a few sections, based on how you prefer to eat them.
- Prepare the rub to season the meat. We use a blend of paprika, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix the ingredients together, and sprinkle the rub over the meat.
- Pre-bake them for about 10 minutes on each side if you have time. This will lock in the juices and render some of the fat.
- Lastly, add the ribs to the slow cooker, and pour the BBQ sauce all over them to evenly coat. If you are not a fan of BBQ sauce, skip this step, but coating them with homemade sauce gives them a rich and delicious flavor.
- Cooking time will vary based on preferences. As a general rule, the longer the cooking time the tender the meat will be. Cooking on LOW: 7 HOURS, or HIGH: 3 HOURS, will result in soft but stay on the bone ribs. Cooking on LOW: 9 HOURS, or HIGH: 4-5 HOURS, will result in super tender and fall apart ribs. Once done cooking, baste them with more BBQ sauce and broil for additional 3-4 minutes until perfectly brown.
HOW TO MAKE BARBECUE SAUCE MIXTURE?
You can use store-bought sauce to coat them, but our homemade version is finger licking good! All you need is to mix the ingredients below till its smooth.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup sweet chili pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon paprika or smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Barbecue Ribs in the oven?
Another alternative would be to make them in the oven. We already have a top-notch oven based recipe which you can check here.
How to make Barbecue Ribs in the Instant Pot?
Making this recipe in the Instant Pot will save you a lot of time. Since the meat is cooked under pressure, the cooking time is drastically reduced. Yet, the meat is also tender and fall of the bone. We have already included the Instant Pot version of this dish and can be accessed in this link.
How to store Slow cooker Pork Ribs?
Once cooked, make sure they are completely cooled down. Then transfer them into an airtight container or wrap tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic wrap. They will maintain the best quality if properly stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat before consuming.
Slow Cooker Ribs
Crockpot Ribs are super tender and easy to make. With little effort, you will have the most incredible melt-in-your-mouth ribs. Cooked in a delicious homemade BBQ sauce, this dish is far better than at any restaurants.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 9 hours Total time: 9 hrs 10 mins
Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce:
Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce:
Prepare and Cook Ribs: