Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are seasoned with paprika and other spices, then air-fried to a golden crisp. That sweet and savory combo is so addicting!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are another rendition of our famous Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato Fries. Because air-fryers are basically mini convection ovens, we wanted to see if it can make fabulous fries, too! And yes, it certainly does!
We got beautiful fries that are fluffy inside and delightfully crispy outside. The savory flavors complement the sweet potatoes perfectly, and it’s impossible to put them down!
How healthy are sweet potato fries?
Yes! Sweet potatoes are packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin A, phosphorous, iron, calcium, and magnesium. Versus regular spuds like Russets and Idaho, they also have more fiber while having a bit fewer calories.
Do note that potatoes, no matter the variety, are carb-heavy foods. Therefore, if you’re trying to lose weight or cut out carbs from your diet, you’ll want to eat them in moderation.
What you need
This is a very easy recipe, made with just a few ingredients:
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- dried basil
How to cook homemade Air Fryer sweet potato fries
- Preheat. Heat up your air-fryer to 400F.
- Prep. Slice up your spuds wedge-style or traditional fry style. Then, get cold water and submerge them for at least an hour and up to 8 hrs. When you’re ready to air-fry them up, pat as dry as you can.
- Season. To your seasoning mix, add your spuds and toss.
- Cook. Arrange in one layer, then air-fry for about 15 to 20 mins. Shake intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Serve. Enjoy as a snack or side with your choice of dips!
Recipe variations and substitutions:
- Regular: Feel free to sub with Idaho, Russet, or Yukon Gold.
- Italian: Add some Italian seasoning for a more pronounced herb flavor.
- Cajun: These are AMAZING with a dash of Cajun seasoning!
- Mexican: Add a dash of cumin, cayenne, and chili pepper, or this easy Taco seasoning for that Tex-Mex flavor.
- Curry: Season with curry powder.
- Sweet and savory: Skip the spices, and instead, air-fry with a little salt then toss in cinnamon sugar.
- Parmesan: Toss in grated parmesan for a salty, cheesy hit!
- Spicy: Double the black pepper, and sprinkle with chili powder or cayenne.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to cook frozen sweet potato fries in an air fryer?
Depending on how big your pieces are, it will take about 20-25 mins. to air-fry them at 400F from frozen. No need to defrost!
What kind of oil is best for air fryer sweet potato fries?
You’ll want a neutral oil that won’t mask the delicious flavor of the sweet potatoes. Aside from olive, use canola, vegetable, peanut, or avocado.
Ways to cut Air-fried sweet potato fries:
- Traditional fry cut: Cut the spud down its length first, dividing it into thin planks. Then, slice those planks into thin strips.
- Wedge cut: Cut the spud lengthwise, then once more lengthwise. You’ll typically get about 8 wedges from each spud.
What to serve with Air Fryer Sweet Potato fries?
- Dips: Can’t go wrong with dipping your fry! Delicious dip options include Tzatziki Sauce, Chipotle Sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Yum Yum Sauce.
- As a side: It’s hard to beat these fries as a side to sloppy joes, sandwiches, burgers, tacos, ribs, and grilled mains!
- As an appetizer: Enjoy them alone as tasty appetizers, or serve them as part of an appetizer spread including sliders, fried cheese sticks, crispy onion rings, and air-fried pickles.
More Air fryer recipes to try:
How to store leftovers?
After you’ve cooled down the leftovers, transfer them to a container with an air-tight seal. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat them by air-frying at 400F for a few minutes on each side, or microwave.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are seasoned with paprika and other spices, then air-fried to a golden crisp.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 1 hr 30 mins
- It’s fine not to peel the spuds, as long as you scrub off all the dirt.
- Don’t skip the water soak! This will remove all the excess starch off the slices, which in turn will give you crispier results.
- Ever five minutes, shake the air-fryer basket. This way, the pieces cook evenly.