Crispy Air Fryer Bacon is fast, easy, and super tasty with much less grease! Don’t forget the paprika-brown sugar rub for a smoky-sweet twist!
Best Air Fryer Bacon
Crispy Air Fryer Bacon is now up there with my favorite way to prepare bacon, which is in the oven. It takes minutes to cook everything, and you don’t have to worry about the grease splatters. You can cook straight from frozen as well which is a huge time saver if you forgot to thaw it overnight.
Also, cooking it this way is much healthier because a lot of the fat drains away into the basket below. Finally, you end up with uniformly crisp strips that are every bit as delicious as the pan-fried and baked versions. For my recipe, I make it extra special with a paprika-brown sugar rub that really takes the smoky flavor to a whole new level!
Crispy Air Fryer Bacon Ingredients:
- Bacon – To make one batch, I use 8 strips for this recipe, but double-check how many your model can fit.
- Paprika – it adds a beautiful, appetizing red color to the meat.
- Brown sugar – caramelizes the meat and makes it savory sweet! However, this ingredient is totally optional.
Is it safe to cook bacon in an air fryer?
Yes. But do check your particular model to see if it has any restrictions for greasy foods. You may also try cooking just a few strips at a time or use fewer fatty cuts if you’re worried about the oil.
Also, while you will be safe from grease splatters, make sure to be careful when it comes to draining the rendered hot oil in the basket.
How to cook bacon in the Air Fryer?
- Prepare your equipment. Turn your air fryer to 360F, then place a little bit of water at the bottom.
- Mix the rub. Combine the sugar (optional) and paprika, then rub it gently all over the meat. Ensure to rub on both sides for uniform texture and flavor.
- Air fry. Arrange the strips in a single layer. Put the cover on the fryer, and cook for around 8 to 11 mins. Remove the cooked strips and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels. Then, clean the bottom, and repeat the steps if you’re making more.
- Heat and serve. Once you’re done with all the slices, return all of them to the air fryer. Heat for a minute, then serve and enjoy.
Can you cook frozen bacon in an air fryer?
Sure. An air fryer is actually an excellent option if you’re cooking from frozen. Therefore, there is no need to thaw the meat!
You basically follow the original steps, but try to arrange the strips in a single layer so that everything cooks evenly. As for the paprika-sugar rub, I recommend sprinkling the mix once the meat is halfway through cooking so that the rub sticks better. You’ll have to add a minute or two to the cooking time as well.
How to prevent air fryer from smoking?
If it starts smoking, that’s most likely because of the grease splattering the heating element. Don’t panic! There are very simple ways to fix this:
- Use water: Pour a small amount of water into the basket to cool down the hot oil on contact.
- Use parchment paper: Buy special parchment paper designed for air fryers (they have holes for efficient circulation of the hot air)
What to serve with Air Fryer Bacon?
Use it for anything you enjoy bacon with! Have it for breakfast with a side of scrambled eggs.
It’s also an awesome protein-loaded snack on its own!
This recipe is perfect for making ahead! To store, seal the cooled strips in a bag, then keep in the fridge and consume within 5 days.
To freeze, use paper towels to wrap the portions first. It will stay good for 3 months or even longer.
More easy bacon recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Broccoli Tots
- Crockpot Bacon Pork Loin
- Cheeseburger and Bacon Meatloaf
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- Bacon Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes
- Add water to the bottom of the basket to prevent the fryer from smoking.
- Also, adjust the cooking time depending on how thick the meat is.
- It is important to clean the bottom after every batch to remove burnt bits.
- Always cook the strips in a single layer so that all of them crisps up evenly.
- To prevent the air fryer from smoking, you could also add a piece of bread to the lower pan to soak up the grease.
- Remember the cooking time will vary depending on how thick the pieces are. If the bacon is not crisp as you would like, let it keep cooking for a few extra minutes.
Crispy Air Fryer Bacon
- 12 slices bacon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Mix the sugar (if using) with the paprika and gently rub onto the bacon slices.
- Place a small amount of water on the bottom of the air fryer and arrange the bacon slices in the air fryer in a single layer. It depends on the size of your air fryer, if needed but them in half or cook in batches.
- Cook 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Clean the bottom of the air fryer with a paper towel, and repeat with remaining slices.
- Keep in mind that thinner bacon slices may cook quicker and thicker ones may need a few minutes extra.
- If needed, reheat the bacon slices for 1 minute in the air fryer and serve.