Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball is a creamy and flavorful ball of your favorite cheese combined with cream cheese and crispy bacon! It steals the show at any game night or party!
It is a crowd-pleaser! My guests couldn’t get enough of it every single time I serve it. If you want party-pleasers like this for your next celebration, check out our recipes for Taco Dip, Tuscan Chicken Pinwheels, and Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes!
Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball Recipe
I just can’t get enough of its savory and cheesy flavors that this appetizer has to offer.
During the holidays, parties happen here and there. If you want to serve something simple but exciting, go for this recipe. It is so easy to make.
Bacon and ranch go well together and their flavors are maximized in this appetizer. The presentation itself is a winner!
Make it quickly early in the morning of your party. Do your other errands and prepare for the party for the rest of the day. When you’re ready, this appetizer would be, too!
What do you need to make Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball:
There are few and simple ingredients that you will need to make this dish like the following:
- cream cheese: you need it softened thoroughly at room temperature so that when you mix it, there will be no lumps
- ranch seasoning: have a stash of this in your pantry because it is a basic ingredient to many great dishes
- bacon crumbles: prepare it ahead, make it crispy and drain any fat
- chopped nuts: this is where you will roll the ball and it adds texture, you can use pecans or almonds combined with some more bacon
- other add-ins: cheddar is a usual add-in but you can also add more types; if you want more flavor, you can add more of your favorite herbs, sauces, aromatics, and seasonings; popular choices are fresh parsley, dill, and cilantro, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne in addition to salt and pepper, and chopped scallions or onions
How do you make a cheese ball?
Please watch the video tutorial attached and you’ll see how easy this is. However, the general steps are as follows:
- Mix: Using a mixer, mix the softened cream cheese until creamy. Mix in the ranch seasoning and shredded cheddar. Add some of the bacon crumbles if you want. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and make sure that everything is folded in nicely.
- Shape: Wrap the mixture with plastic and then, form into whatever shape that you want. Use your bare hands, too, if you are more comfortable with this.
- Roll: Roll it onto a plate of the nuts mixture.
- Chill: Wrap in plastic or parchment paper and refrigerate for about an hour or so to allow the flavors to meld and for the whole thing to firm up. Also, chill it first before shaping and rolling as it is firmer by then so it is easier to manage.
- Serve: Serve it on a plate surrounded by your favorite crackers or pretzels.
What is the best cheese for a cheese ball?
Although cheddar is a popular choice, many other types can go well in this dish like the following:
- Feta: adds a tangy flavor
- Smoked Gouda: adds a nutty and smoky flavor
- Sharp Cheddar: adds a nutty flavor
- Manchego: adds a sweet and hazelnutty flavor
- Swiss: adds a mild nutty flavor
How long does Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball last?
If you did not add fresh herbs and other similar ingredients, then, it may last up to a week or more. Otherwise, it will only keep for about 3 days.
Note that it may not freeze well because of the cream cheese. Just refrigerate it tightly wrapped in plastic.
What to serve with Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball:
It is a great appetizer that goes well with wine and your favorite crackers, pita chips, baguettes, and pretzels.
- Shape it into any shape that you want, or put it in a small bowl and use it as a spread. Shape it into a football making it very apt for a game night dish.
- Form it into small balls to make it into bites. Use the smallest scoop that you can find to scoop out smaller pieces then, chill. They make for a perfect cocktail party dish!
- Leave out the nuts entirely if you are allergic. This is a versatile dish so you can almost always choose what to add in and coat it with.
Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
Prep time: 20 minutes Total time: 20 mins