This Homemade Guacamole Recipe is super easy to make and uses fresh ingredients that makes it the absolute best guac. The perfect game day or party appetizer, which is also naturally gluten-free and vegan!
This delicious appetizer is ready in less than 10 minutes and always the first to go. We love serving it with tortilla chips or over some tacos. If you are hosting a game or a party, you should also try our Spinach Artichoke Dip or Homemade Hummus.
The Best Guacamole Recipe
Guacamole recipe is meant to be made quick and easy. It does not require many skills to make a delicious and authentic one. The secret to a delicious guacamole recipe is in fresh products used. It’s that straight forward. Using a blend of fresh ingredients will ensure to get the best flavors out, and this is precisely what you want in it.
This is as close as you can get to true and authentic guacamole. All you need is ripe avocados, tomatoes, cilantro or parsley, onion, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, garlic, and salt. This is all it takes to make the best recipe conveniently in your own kitchen.
We have tried many variations of it, and some have too many ingredients while lacks the flavors of true and authentic guac. After making this dish over and over at home, we perfectioned it to become the best you can get.
What is the secret to the best Authentic Guacamole Recipe?
As stated above the secret starts with ingredients. Since avocado is front and center in this recipe, you want to make sure you start with a great quality avocado. That is why you should always look for ripe avocados.
Ripe avocados are essential here. Below are some tips on selecting the right avocados:
- It has to be ripe, but firm. You certainly do not want soft and mushy avocados.
- Grab avocados that still have the stem attached. Try to avoid the once that have the stem removed, as it might have brown spots inside.
- Then, gently squeeze the avocado with the palm of your hand, but not your fingers. It should be firm, but yields slightly. This means it is ready to go. However, if it gives easily, it is probably overripe, which should not be used for guacamole.
We use the following ingredients:
- Avocados: Try using ripe ones, as they work the best. We usually use about 4-5 avocados. However, if you are looking to make a larger batch, increase them accordingly.
- Lime juice: Always use freshly-squeezed!
- Garlic: We use about 2 minced cloves.
- Diced sweet onion: We love using sweet onions as compared to red onion in our guac. It is milder in flavor, and not overly powerful. So, it works perfectly here.
- Salt and pepper: Adjust per your taste. Also, we like adding a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Jalapeño: Chop the jalapeno pepper finely. Also, if you cannot find jalapeno, use chili, or serrano pepper instead.
- Cilantro: Some people do not use cilantro, so feel free to skip it, or use parsley instead.
- Chopped cherry tomatoes: We use about 1 medium-sized cherry tomato. It adds a nice balance to the guac, and we highly recommend it. However, if not a fan of tomatoes, simply skip it from the recipe.
How to make the best guacamole?
Watch the short recipe video tutorial attached above. But the general steps are as follows:
- Making guacamole at home is very easy. It only takes a few minutes of your time and a few steps to follow.
- Start by slicing the avocados in half and remove the pit. We normally use 3 avocados, for a large portion increase accordingly.
- Then, use a spoon and scoop out the flesh and place into a bowl.
- Use a fork to gently mash them to your desired level of chunkiness. For best guacamole, do not over mash or puree the avocados.
- Add the onions, tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, onion, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together.
- Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
If you feel like customizing your own personal guac, then below are some great suggestions:
- Other seasonings: Feel free to add cumin, garlic powder, ranch, or even taco seasoning to it.
- Fruits: For a more tropical twist, add some sliced mango, pineapple, pomegranate, peaches, or even grapes.
- Cheese: Although we are not a fan of adding cheese to it, you could add Cojita, feta, goat, or blue cheese to your guac.
- Make it spicier: For more heat, add more chopped chile pepper.
- Bacon: Who doesn’t like bacon?!
HOW TO KEEP GUACAMOLE FROM TURNING BROWN?
Guacamole is best to serve right away, as it oxidizes and turns brown pretty quickly. However, if you end up with some leftover, here are some tips to keep it fresh longer:
Sealing the guacamole – this is your best bet when it comes to extending its freshness and keeping it from turning dark. Seal it as tightly as possible with plastic wrap. You actually want the plastic to touch the guacamole. This will help keep it green for a day or so.
Avocado pit – place the pit inside the guac until ready to serve. Then cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
How long will homemade guacamole last?
As stated above, it’s best to eat it right away. With that said, it is still possible to make the guacamole recipe ahead of time, and stored in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Cover tightly with plastic wrap before placing in the fridge.
You will know it’s gone bad when it has a substantial puddle of brown liquid and it’s green color disappeared.
Other delicious appetizers:
- Baked buffalo wings
- Instant Pot Hummus
- Chicken Quesadillas
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Tuscan Chicken Pinwheels
- This is a perfect appetizer to enjoy for game days or parties. So, if you want to make a larger batch, just double or triple the ingredients accordingly.
- Also, if you are looking for a tangier guac, add more lime juice. Similarly, lime juice can be substituted with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- If you want to serve it on a granite plate, we recommend using this granite molcajete.
Homemade Guacamole Recipe
Homemade Guacamole Recipe is easy to make and uses fresh ingredients that make it the absolute best. This is as close as you can get to true and authentic guacamole.
Prep time: 9 minutes Cook time: 0 minutes Total time: 9 mins