Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Grilled Shrimp Tacos are bursting with flavor from the grilled shrimp, tangy slaw, and spicy lime crema! Light, fresh, and easy to prepare, these are perfect for summer BBQs or a delicious weeknight dinner.
Grilled Shrimp Tacos Recipe
Grilled shrimp tacos are a tasty way to satisfy your Mexican food cravings without filling up on calorie-loaded, greasy dishes. Don’t get me wrong. Mexican food is my guilty pleasure, but sometimes I want those fantastic flavors without the next-day bloat.
Aside from being lighter, this recipe is just so satisfying. Imagine juicy, smoky shrimp wrapped in soft tortillas, topped with spicy-lime crema, crisp slaw, and a kick of jalapenos. The fresh cilantro, creamy avocado, and pico de gallo make it pop!
Don’t be fooled by the long list of ingredients – this recipe is as easy as they come! You can even prepare some of the elements a day before, so you’ll only have to grill and assemble the next day. One bite and this will be your new favorite way to enjoy tacos!
Do I have to grill the shrimp?
It’s hard to beat the smoky flavor of grilled seafood, so I highly recommend doing so. But if you don’t want to fire up the grill, you may broil or cook quickly on the stovetop. Just make sure not to overcook it.
How to thaw frozen shrimp?
You may thaw it inside the fridge overnight if you’re cooking them the next day. You may also put them in cold water to thaw them out faster.
Whatever thawing method you choose, never place the shrimp under running water for force thawing. Doing so can cause them to absorb moisture, turning their texture into too soft and mushy.
What are the Best Tortillas to Use for Tacos
You may use flour or corn tortillas for this recipe. However, burritos and quesadillas generally use the flour version. Corn tortillas, which are smaller in size, are excellent for tacos, taquitos, and similar dishes.
Corn tortillas tend to boost the flavor profile of Mexican food. As a whole grain, they have more fiber and fewer calories than flour tortillas that use refined starch. However, the best tortilla ultimately depends on what you prefer, and either is fine.
How to Make Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- Prepare. Chop the ingredients, thaw and season the shrimp, and prepare your cooking equipment.
- Heat the tortillas. Wrap your tortillas of choice in foil, and warm them up.
- Make the tangy vinegar slaw. Whisk the vinegar, and toss the slaw vegetables. Let sit to infuse the flavors.
- Make the spicy-lime crema. Whisk the ingredients for the spicy-lime crema together. Set aside.
- Grill. Season the shrimp and brush with olive oil. Cook. Slide off the skewers.
- Assemble. Divide the shrimp between the tortilla. Top with the slaw and crema. Garnish with the pico de gallo, avocado, and cilantro.
- Serve. Serve immediately with your preferred sides and beverages.
What to serve with shrimp tacos?
This recipe is bursting with flavor, so you want something that complements it instead of competing. As an appetizer, warm tortilla chips with my homemade guacamole are a crowdpleaser. Add a tropical zing with pineapple salsa. Finish the meal with a refreshing margarita or mojitos!
More Taco Recipes:
- Baja Fish
- Slow Cooker Beer Ribs Tacos
- Beef Taco Lasagna
- Taco Fries and Fire Grilled Chicken
- Best Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Feel free to use frozen if you can’t source fresh.
- Simplify the prep work by preparing the ingredients in advance.
- Remember to preheat the grill, and to oil and clean the gates before use.
- Use a double layer of foil to wrap the tortillas and prevent them from burning.
- Try grilling the limes to give them some of that smoky zest.
Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- 2 lbs shrimp thawed peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup red cabbage chopped
- 1 cup green cabbage chopped
- 1 green apple cut into thin sticks
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- ¼ cup onion thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno deseeded and finely chopped
Spicy Lime Crema:
- 1 cup Mexican Crema
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chili powder use more or less based on own preference
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro finely minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 16 flour tortillas taco size
- 1 avocado deseeded and chopped
- 8 tablespoons Pico de Gallo
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Preheat the grill, clean the grates oil them. Also, you can use a cast iron grill pan and prepare the shrimp on the stove.
- Turn the grill or the stove to medium heat/
- Wrap the tortillas foil and place over the cooler side of the grill to heat up. Flip the stack once or twice.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, lime juice, orange juice, and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl, add the vinegar mixture and toss to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until ready to serve. Toss again before serving.
Spicy Lime Crema:
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients together until smooth. Set aside.
Grill the Shrimp:
- Evenly arrange the shrimp onto skewers.
- Mix in a small bowl the seasoning: Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, garlic powder.
- Brush shrimp with olive oil on both sides and season liberally with the seasoning mixture.
- Place on the heated grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and using a for slide the shrimp off the skewers into a bowl.
- Arrange tortillas on a serving platter. Two tortillas per taco.
- Divide the grilled shrimp equally between the tortillas.
- Top with the crispy slaw and drizzle the spicy crema on top.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top, chopped avocado, and pico de gallo.
Enjoy weekly hand picked recipes and recommendations