Instant Pot Taco Soup is hearty and full of flavor, ready in just 30 minutes, all done in your pressure cooker. Serve it topped with cheese and corn chips.
Taco inspired recipes are very popular on the blog, I have shared with you Instant Pot Taco Pasta and Taco Fries, which by the way are very good and easy to make. Since I have posted my recipe for the Best Ever Taco Soup, I have received many requests to make a pressure cooker version. When you guys ask, I listen, and here you have the most delicious and easy to make Instant Pot Taco Soup.
The Best Instant Pot Taco Soup
Instant Pot Taco Soup is the perfect comfort meal, it is so easy to make, that you will end up fixing it a few times per week. We love good and rich taco soup, making one in the Instant Pot has been such a time saver. The flavors are extraordinary and the best part is that you can serve it with your favorite toppings.
The taco soup can be made with ground beef, chicken or turkey, whichever you prefer more. If you make it with beef, it will have a chili-like texture, except with lots of delicious taco seasoning flavor.
The soup is made with a variety of healthy ingredients like diced tomatoes, beans, and bell pepper. You can reduce the liquid and make the soup thicker, to serve it over rice.
How do you make Instant Pot Taco Soup?
- First, open any cans needed for this recipe and prepare all the ingredients.
- After that, you start by browning the beef. This is an important step as it will add extra flavor.
- Drain any grease, leaving just about 2 tablespoons in the pot.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients, like chopped veggies, tomatoes, beans and broth.
- Cook and serve.
How long do you cook Taco Soup in the Instant Pot?
The beautify of this recipe and pressure cooker is that the cooking time is drastically reduced. You only have to cook it for 10 minutes on High Pressure, followed by a 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release.
Can I substitute beef with other meats?
Yes. I love making this soup with beef, but you can make it with ground chicken or turkey as well. Both work well, and the cooking time will remain the same. Also, you can combine more meat types together. It works perfectly well.
Can I use vegetable broth to make this taco soup?
Absolutely! You can use vegetable broth or chicken broth, instead of beef broth.
Great Taco Soup Toppings Suggestions:
- Sour Cream
- Cotija Cheese
- Corn Chips
- Corn Bread
- Chopped Black Olives
- Fresh Lime
- Picco de Galo
- Sliced Fresh Jalapeños
What to serve with taco soup?
Some great side dishes to serve with it are:
Can I Make it in the Crock Pot?
Yes! To make it in the Slow Cooker simply brown the onions and the ground beef. Then, drain the fat and all everything to the slow cooker, along with the rest of the ingredients.
Set the cooking time of LOW and cook for 8 hours. The slow cooker step by step version of this soup can be found here.
Stovetop Taco Soup?
Similarly, you can make it on the stovetop. You can access the stovetop taco soup here.
How to freeze Instant Pot Taco Soup?
- Use quart bags to freeze the soup.
- The soup should be cold.
- Transfer the soup from the pot into the bags.
- Squeeze out excess air and seal the bags.
- Lay bags flat in the freezer.
- The bags can nicely be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
How to thaw frozen Instant Pot Taco Soup?
To thaw it, remove it from the freezer the night before serving, or put the sealed soup bag in a large bowl or casserole dish filled with warm water, to thaw it faster.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- I prefer to use leaner found beef for this recipe (85-90%). You can substitute ground beef with ground turkey or chicken.
- Use high quality canned tomatoes. I like San Marzano canned tomatoes when I can get my hand on some.
- Also, use fresh garlic and onion instead of the garlic and onion powder, the fresh garlic will add way more flavor.
- Feel free to use our homemade taco seasoning.
- It is best to add different types of beans because they have different texture and taste.
- In addition, if you like it thicker, we suggest using less broth or liquid.
- Adding Worcestershire sauce will enhance the beef flavor.
- To make it spicier, add some sliced jalapeno to it.
The Best Instant Pot Taco Soup
Instant Pot Taco Soup is hearty and full of flavor, ready in just 30 minutes, all done in your Instant Pot. Serve it topped with cheese and corn chips.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 mins
Cornstarch Slurry Optional:
Adding the rest of the ingredients:
For a thicker soup: