Chipotle Sauce Recipe – 5 Minutes [Video]
Chipotle Sauce is super easy to make and is great on salads, as a dipping sauce and even as a marinade. Spicy, creamy and refreshing, ready in just 5 minutes. Check out the short recipe video bellow for quick tutorial steps.
The Best Chipotle Sauce Recipe
Chipotle Sauce Recipe will take you 5 minutes to prepare and you can enjoy it right away on your favorite salad. This sauce is a staple in our house, its incredibly creamy and flavorful with just the right amount of spiciness.
Packed with fresh cilantro, the Chipotle Sauce is also refreshing. For a more citrusy flavor, you can go ahead and add some lime zest to it.
Also, you can make a double batch from the start, as it can be refrigerated for up to 1 month. You can also replace the pesto in this Chicken Kabobs Recipe and make Chipotle Chicken Kabobs.
Where is a chipotle sauce from?
This sauce is basically a chili used primarily in Mexican and Mexican-inspired cuisines, such as Mexican-American, Tex-Mex, and Southwestern dishes. It comes in different forms, such as chipotles en adobo, and is widely used now all over the world.
What is Chipotle Sauce made of?
This is one of the easiest dishes you can make with only 5 simple ingredients. You will need:
- Chipotle Pepper
- Whole Milk Greek Yogurt
- Cilantro, Cumin and Ground Coriander
- Lime Zest – Optional
How to make lime zest?
Follow these easy steps below:
- First, rinse the lime.
- Set your tool over a cutting board. A Microplane produces a very fine zest, perfect for baking and cooking. If you don’t have a microplane, use the smallest holes on an ordinary grater.
- Then, grate the green skin of the lime only. Grate just enough to get through the green skin, this way you can avoid the bitter white pith underneath.
- Rotate the lime and repeat. Once the white pith is exposed, rotate the lime and zest the next strip of peel. Repeat until most of the peel is removed, or until you have enough zest for your recipe.
Chipotle Sauce Recipe Tips:
- When making a mayo-based sauce, I recommend using full-fat mayo. However, you can totally make a “skinnier” version by using Fat-Free Mayo. But please be aware that the sauce will be a bit more watery.
- Also, you can use either sour cream or whole milk Greek yogurt. I like both options, but prefer the sour cream as it adds a bit more tanginess to it.
- In addition, using fresh cilantro is key, please don’t try to substitute, the fresher the better. Make sure your cilantro is washed and towel-dried.
- If you are vegan, make this with Veganaise or silken tofu. A flavor booster for sure!
- You can adjust the spiciness as you please by adding more or less chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I usually add 2, but if you like the sauce extra spicy add more.
- Similarly, the cumin and coriander complement the sauce nicely. You can also add a little fresh lime zest for a more citrusy and refreshing flavor.
- If you want to customize it, even more, a few garlic cloves will add a nice punch of flavor too.
What goes good with chipotle sauce?
It goes pretty much on anything. We love to use it on meats, fish, or tacos. Some good mixes are:
- Oven tilapia
- Crab cakes
- Salmon patties
- Taco fries
- Chicken cordon bleu
- Fried chicken
- Bacon-wrapped shrimp
Tools/ingredients that I used to make the Best Chipotle Sauce Recipe:
- Food Processor – a lifesaver in so many ways, it will save you so much time in the kitchen.
- Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce – can be found in most grocery stores, in the Latin section usually.
- Ground Cumin – perfect addition to your spice rack, it is used in many Mexican dishes. Here are some interesting benefits that cumin provides.
- Ground Coriander – another great spice to add to your collection, it is used in many recipes. Here are some interesting benefits that cumin provides.
Easy Chipotle Sauce Recipe
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce canned
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup plain Whole Milk Greek yogurt or Full Fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Kosher salt to taste
Follow me on InstagramFollow
- Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, about 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is fully combined and creamy.
- Pour into a jar and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Enjoy on salads, as a dipping sauce or even a meat marinade.