Check out this delicious and creamy Sauce for Salmon that can be used in a variety of dishes. It is our favorite sauce to use when cooking poultry and fish, and especially salmon. Made with butter, lemon, light cream, garlic, and Parmesan cheese this one is guaranteed to win you over. Watch step by step recipe video below.
Easy Salmon Sauce
Sauce for salmon is one of the easiest and quickest recipes you can prepare. It comes together fast and is perfect on many seafood dishes that you can enjoy for dinner. It has just a few ingredients, but tastes absolutely rich, creamy and delicious!
The flavors are out of this world, with butter, cream and garlic mix, you will smell the aromas filling your kitchen right away. When using it for cooking salmon, it truly boosts the flavors of the fish to a new level.
Also, we have added some lemon juice and zest to it, which adds a nice citrusy kick and a great overall balance. This is our favorite sauce to use when cooking salmon because it is buttery, creamy and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. We have tried making this sauce in many variations over the years, and we have perfected it over and over again.
This homemade recipe is truly easy to follow and yields a delicious and hearty sauce that can be mixed in lots of other recipes. We actually love it so much that we use it as a dip once in a while. Give it a try, we are confident you will enjoy it just as much!
How to make homemade Sauce for Salmon?
This is one of the easiest dishes you can make at home. Follow the simple steps below:
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt.
- Once butter is melted and sizzling, add flour, stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute.
- While stirring continuously, add the cream little by little.
- Next, add garlic, lemon juice lemon zest, dried herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a light simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Lastly, stir in parmesan cheese until fully melted.
Can you substitute Parmesan Cheese?
Sure, can! We love using grated Parmesan cheese in this recipe since it gives it a nice and rich aroma. However, you can use any of your favorite cheeses. They will work just fine. Some of our other favorites are:
- Romano cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Grana Padano
How to make Dill Sauce for Salmon?
Dill version of it is also delicious and super fast to prepare. You can use it mainly over any fish, especially if it’s grilled.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (optional) or whole Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon chopped dill
- salt and pepper to taste
Then, simply whisk together all the ingredients above until well blended. Chill for few hours before serving. Once used, make sure to refrigerate it since it contains dairy, you want to make sure it does not go bad.
Also, you can make this recipe dairy-free. It is also great for those who are lactose intolerant or people who wish to serve this fish entree alongside a kosher meat meal. Just replace the sour cream with dairy-free vegan sour cream and vegan yogurt.
Ways to use garlic lemon salmon sauce?
This dish can be used pretty much on all fish and meat types. Try it on:
- Salmon Patties
- Creamy Lemon Garlic Salmon
- Lamb Ribs
- Garlic Butter Sway Fish
- Baja Fish Tacos
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
How to store Homemade Sauce For Salmon?
If you have any leftovers, it is best to store in an airtight container or mason jar in the fridge for up to 5 days. If stored for over a few days, it is best to shake it well before consuming it.
Can you Freeze it?
Absolutely! This recipe can easily be frozen in a sealable plastic container for up to 3 months. When ready to use, just thaw overnight in the fridge. Also, do not forget to whisk it before serving.
- For an even richer and creamier sauce, add one extra tablespoon of butter.
- You can also substitute regular butter, with vegan, or dairy-free butter.
- Adjust the garlic per your own preference.
Sauce for Salmon
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups light cream
- 4 cloves (minced garlic)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (grated )
- Over medium heat, place a large skillet and add butter.
- Once butter is melted and sizzling, add the flour, and whisk well to combine while cooking. Let it cook for about 1 minute while stirring.
- Next, add slowly the light cream and continue to stir. Make sure not to pour the cream all at once, instead do it slowly.
- Then, add garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, dried herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Once the sauce simmers, reduce heat to low and add shredded Parmesan cheese to the mixture. Stir for few seconds until the cheese fully melts.