Air Fryer Shrimp Cakes are packed with juicy shrimp and seasoned with herbs, spices, hot sauce, lemon, plus garlic and green onion. Then, they’re quickly shaped into hearty patties and air-fried until golden and crisp! You’re going to love this fantastic side dish, salad topper, or delicious seafood snack!
Air Fryer Shrimp Cakes Recipe
Air Fryer Shrimp Cakes are the ultimate seafood patties! Chopped, juicy shrimp are mixed with fresh green onions, egg, garlic, plus lots of herbs and spices with a splash of lemon juice and hot sauce.
Then, they’re gently shaped into thick patties before going into the air fryer. So easy, delicious, and much less oily than frying them up!
We like adding all sorts of delicious things into the mix, too. For instance, cheese and bacon are always a winning combo. You can also add veggies, mix in some crab, or switch up the flavor with different herbs and spices. Simple and fast enough for weeknights, but perfect for parties, too!
What goes into homemade Air Fryer Shrimp Cakes
- Shrimp: Use cooked ones that are already shelled and with the vein taken out.
- Binder: To bring our patties together, we’re binding them with bread crumbs and a couple of fresh eggs.
- Seasonings: These patties are PACKED with flavor! We’re mixing in fresh green onions and garlic, Italian herbs, and fresh dill, plus spices like smoked paprika and onion powder. A dash of lemon and the hot sauce give our shrimp cakes a delicious kick! Of course, don’t forget your salt and fresh pepper.
How to make homemade Air-Fryer Shrimp Cakes
- Slice. Cube the cooked seafood into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix. Place these in a bowl along with all other ingredients. Gently mix them together.
- Shape. Divide and form into round patties.
- Cook. On a piece of parchment inside the air fryer, arrange the patties. Them, spritz, or brush with oil. Finally, air-fry at 370F for about 8-10 mins. until turning golden and crispy, then flip and continue air-frying for about 5 minutes more.
- Serve. Enjoy immediately with your dip of choice and more lemon.
Recipe Variations and substitutions:
- Try other seasonings: Explore different flavor combos! We love adding some Old Bay, Cajun spice, Taco seasoning, and chili pepper for a Tex-Mex taste, and some soy sauce and ginger for an Asian twist.
- Spicy: Love spicy food? Add chili pepper flakes, more Sriracha, or jalapenos! For serious heat, try Fresno peppers, Anaheim peppers, serrano peppers, or poblano peppers.
- Cheesy: Mix in some shredded cheddar, Pepper jack, parmesan, and other cheeses. We also like placing a small cube of mozzarella in the middle for a cheesy surprise!
- Herbs: Fresh or dried herbs can completely transform the flavor of these cakes. For instance, try it with cilantro or fresh basil.
- Include veggies: Make a healthier version of these savory cakes by adding all sorts of veggies! For instance, blanch and finely chop some carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, or bell pepper. Corn kernels are great additions, too!
- Add meat: For heartier patties, try mixing in some chopped bacon, diced sausage, or ham bits into the mixture.
- Skillet-fry: Don’t have an air-fryer? Cook these on the stove instead.
- Bake: You can use your oven, too! Bake this at 400F for about 15 to 20 mins. until crisp outside and golden.
Frequently Asked Questions
What goes well with homemade shrimp cakes?
Delicious dipping sauces are a must, and we highly recommend creamy ones like tzatziki sauce or tartar sauce.
More shrimp recipes to try:
Best sauce to use as a dip for air-fried shrimp patties?
Definitely go with light and creamy sauces. This way, it won’t overpower the delicate shrimp flavors in the dish. We recommend:
- Homemade Yum Yum Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Chipotle Sauce
- Sauce For Salmon
- McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce Copycat
How to store leftovers?
Cool them completely first, so they don’t lose too much of that crispy crust in storage (condensation can make the surface soggy). Then, place in air-tight storage and keep chilled for up to 3 days.
To reheat, air-fry at 400F for about 5 mins. until hot. You can also bake them in a 400F oven for a few minutes to crisp them up again.
Air Fryer Shrimp Cakes
- 1 pound shrimp (cooked, shelled, and deveined)
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 lemon (juiced, and zested)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 onion powder
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable (or canola oil)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Tartar sauce
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the cooked shrimp into small cubed-like pieces.
- Add the shrimp to a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir gently to combine.
- Form the shrimp mixture into 8-10 patties. You can use an ice cream scoop to make each sized portion.
- Place a piece of parchment paper down inside the hot air fryer then carefully place each shrimp cake in the air fryer.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until the crust turns golden brown. Flip and cook for 5 more minutes.
- We like nice, juicy chunks of shrimp in ours, so we chop them up that way. You can definitely process this if you want a finer consistency, or if you’re making a bigger batch. Just make sure to PULSE, so it doesn’t turn into a paste.
- For more flavor, try adding seasoned breadcrumbs instead of plain. You can also use panko for more crunch!
- Don’t forget to lay down parchment before arranging the patties, so the cakes don’t fall out of shape while cooking.