Shrimp Cakes – 30 Minutes Only!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Shrimp Cakes are juicy and flavorful, spiked with fresh dill, lemon and smoked paprika, and served with the most amazing mayo based dipping sauce. The cakes are the perfect finger food that the whole family will love!
When it comes to shrimp, our family is a huge fan of them. We eat a lot of shrimp dishes, and Shrimp Cakes is easily one of the top dishes we enjoy the most. If you are a huge shrimp fan like us, check out the Spicy Garlic Shrimp. This recipe is so tasty especially when you dip in some crusty, warm bread in it. Similarly, we recently made these Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and they were a huge success.
Shrimp Cakes are very similar to crab cakes, but also a lot cheaper to make. Similarly, we like them more because they tend to be juicier and more versatile than traditional crab cakes. You can mix them with your favorite ingredients, or veggies, so the mix and match possibilities are endless. If you are a cheese lover, you can add some cheese into the mix. Also, if you enjoy a spicier kick, just add some jalapeño. Whichever mix you prefer, they are guaranteed to be a huge hit. They always come out juicy, tender and very flavorful!
This Shrimp Cakes have long been one of our favorite dinner dishes to make for a few reasons. First, they are very easy and timely to make, and also a cheaper alternative compared to what you pay at a restaurant. The shrimp are cut and mixed with all the fresh ingredients, like fresh lemon juice, fresh dill and green onion, and then combined together into cakes. Served with a dill mayo based dipping sauce or salad, they are guaranteed to make your family and guests happy!
Follow Sweet and Savory Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Pin This Easy Shrimp Cakes Recipe to your Favorite Board
HOW TO PEEL AND DEVEIN SHRIMP?
- To peel raw shrimp, start underneath, where their legs are attached.
- Use a paring knife to devein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black strip intestine.
- Gently remove the black strip of intestines and wipe it off on a paper towel.
- In order to remove the shrimp tail, just squeeze the shrimp out from the tail segment, discard the tail.
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK SHRIMP CAKES IN THE OVEN?
For this recipe we cooked the Shrimp Cakes on the skillet, for a crispier texture. Alternatively, you can bake the Shrimp Cakes in a 400F preheated oven, for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the cakes are crisp around the edges and shrimp turn pink.
Can I use food processor to chop the shrimp meat?
We prefer to cut the shrimp by knife in proportional sizes, because we like to feel the larger shrimp bites in the cakes. However, using the food processor will finely chop raw shrimp meat uniformly. It will work great as well, but make sure not to over process your shrimp – you want small chunks, but you don’t want to grind it into a paste.
What kind of wine pairs well with Shrimp Cakes?
White wine usually pairs well when cooking shrimp or any other Seafood dish. Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay would be ideal wines to use for shrimp. This is your go-to category. If possible, choose a wine that has a moderate alcohol content, preferably between 10 and 13 percent, and generous acidity.
Shrimp Cakes Recipe Tips:
- Use quality shrimp. Preferable wild-caught shrimp whenever possible.
- Similarly, avoid farm raised shrimp, because they might be raised with antibiotics and could lead to health problems.
- Wash the shrimp really well and dry them with paper towel before cutting.
- Also, use fresh lemon juice as it will give a fresher and nicer flavor to the dish.
- If you like garlic, add some freshly minced to the mixed.
- Use an ice cream scoop to make the ball portion of shrimp cakes.
Easy Shrimp Cakes
Shrimp Cakes are juicy and flavorful, spiked with fresh dill, lemon and smoked paprika, and served with the most amazing mayo based dipping sauce.
- 1 pound shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable, canola oil or olive oil for frying
- lemon wedges for serving
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- juice of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- salt to taste
Using a sharp knife, cut the shrimp into small cubed like pieces.
Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl and add the remaining of the ingredients: panko bread crumbs, beaten egg, hot sauce, green onion, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, paprika, onion powder and salt. Stir gently to combine.
Form the shrimp mixture into 8-10 patties. You can use an ice cream scoop to make each sized portion.
Next, heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the shrimp patties in a single layer and cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Gently flip on the other side, to not break the patties.
Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl until fully combined. Serve with the shrimp cakes with lemon wedges on the side.
Made this Recipe?
Show me what you made on Instagram and tag me at @sweetnsavorymeals or hashtag it #sweetandsavorymeals.