Sweet and Sour Shrimp is made with golden-crispy shrimp, healthy veggies, and coated in a delicious sweet and sour sauce. It is the perfect quick and easy Chinese meal that is ready in about 30 minutes!
Easy Sweet and Sour Shrimp
This homemade Sweet and Sour Shrimp is our go-to meal during the busy days. We love this meal, as it is a simple stir-fry dish that is all in one-pot. The flavors are deep and just amazing! In addition, this is quite a healthy recipe, and kids love it just as much!
Chinese dishes are some of our most favorite once, and this one is definitely on top of our list. I have made it numerous times and adjusted the flavors to make it better than takeout. Trust me, this is one of the easiest (and tastiest) weeknights dinners you can make.
Also, unlike many over Asian dishes, this one is quite healthy. We try to incorporate seafood into our family’s diet, at least once a week. According to the USDA website, it is recommended to serve at least two 4-ounce of seafood a week. Therefore, feel free to enjoy it whenever you crave some Asian inspired meals, ready in less than 30 minutes!
Is Sweet and Sour Shrimp Chinese?
How to make Sweet and Sour Shrimp?
- Clean the Shrimp and the veggies: Ensure to use deveined and peeled shrimp. If not, clean them and devein at home. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Also, wash the veggies and cut into smaller cubbed pieces.
- Make the sauce: Simply, combine honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, tomato paste, and pineapple juice. Then, make a cornstarch slurry, and set aside.
- Cook the ingredients: The shrimp and peppers/veggies cook together in one pan over medium-high heat. I like using sesame oil, as it has a deep and nice flavor. However, if you do not have it on hand, use regular cooking oil.
- Add the sauce: When the shrimp and veggies are almost cooked, add the sweet and sour sauce. Then, simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry: Add the slurry to it, and cook until thickened, for about 30 seconds more.
- Garnish and serve: I love to garnish it with freshly chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
What size shrimp do you use?
Depending on whether you are buying them by already in a package or per pound, I usually go with larger sized once. As a general rule, I use 16/18 count per pound. However, feel free to use a smaller version as well. Also, you can go with extra-large or even tiger once. In that case, you might want to cut them in half as they are very large.
Just remember, that shrimp cooks very fast. All you need is about 3-4 minutes, and they are done. Therefore, no matter what size you are going with, keep a close eye on them, not to overcook.
What to serve with Sweet and Sour Shrimp?
- This dish is very versatile. Therefore, feel free to use or substitute with your favorite veggies. Some good additions are, celery, broccoli, carrot, green pepper, mushrooms, pineapple.
- Same goes for the garnish. Sesame or black sesame seeds work really well here, but feel free to go with what you like.
- For a spicier kick, add some crushed red pepper flakes, or chop in some chili pepper.
Sweet and Sour Shrimp
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 30 mins
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
Sweet and Sour Sauce: