Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat is the perfect recipe for your favorite creamy and cheesy soup, that you can now easily make at home.
We love Panera Bread Soups. Their soups taste homemade and are perfect during cold winter days for families to enjoy. During cold weather, a bowl of soup goes a long way. We also enjoy the Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup and Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup.
Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat is the homemade version of this delicious recipe I ordered so many times at Panera Bread. With this easy recipe, you can now have your soup fix anytime you want. Seriously, guys, this is one of the easiest soup recipes you can make at home.
This soup is the ultimate comfort food that is hearty and loaded with mouthwatering flavors, while also uses everyday ingredients. Not to mention that is super easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes!
This homemade dish is also loaded with extra cheddar cheese and is very rich and flavorful. The perks of making your own soup are you can make it extra, extra cheesy! But don’t worry, it also has broccoli and carrots, so you get a good veggie intake too. That is how I balance all that cheese!
How to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
- First, add 2 tablespoons of butter to a medium skillet over medium heat. Then, add diced onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Stir a few times. Once done, remove the skillet from heat and set aside.
- Next, place a medium heavy bottom pot or Dutch over medium heat.
- Once the pot is warm, add 4 tablespoons of butter and melt it.
- Once melted, add the flour and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly with a whisk. While still whisking, add the chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Next, add the heavy cream, stir to combine, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Then, add the broccoli, carrots, and cooked onion.
- Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Once done, you can leave the soup chunky or blend about 1/2 of it, by adding it to a blender or using an immersion blender. After blessing the soup, stir it in for a smoother texture.
- Return to low heat and add the cheddar cheese.
- Serve warm with extra cheddar cheese.
What should I top my Broccoli Cheddar Soup with?
Some toppings suggestions for this would be:
- Bacon crumbs
- Cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onion
- Diced chives
- A dollop of sour cream
CAN BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP BE MADE IN THE SLOW COOKER?
Sure, can! Making it in the slow cooker is even easier. You simply dump the ingredients in the crockpot and let it cook for hours. The aromas will fill your house instantly.
Here is the Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup:
In addition, you can make this dish in the Instant Pot. Follow the Instant Pot recipe steps here.
- I like to use heavy cream in this recipe, you can also use half-and-half or light cream.
- Also, I used vegetable broth, you can also use chicken broth.
- When melting the butter, be careful not to burn it.
- When adding the flour, stirring constantly to combine it.
- To make it even creamier, you have to puree half of it, either by adding it to a blender or using an immersion blender.
- Add as much cheddar cheese as you like, this is the best part of this homemade version.
Can you freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
Yes. I recommend using quart bags for this soup. Use a cup to transfer the soup from the pot into the bag. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bags. The bags can nicely be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
To thaw the soup, remove it from the freezer the night before serving, or put the sealed soup bag in warm water to thaw it faster.
HOW TO REHEAT FROZEN Broccoli Cheddar SOUP?
- Thaw the soup overnight in the fridge or add the frozen bag to a large casserole dish and place it under running warm water.
- Then, transfer it to a dutch oven or saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Also, when reheating, you may need to add a bit of milk or cream, add a ¼ cup at a time.
- Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Looking for more comforting soup recipes? Check these out!
- Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat
- Panera Bread Chicken Wild Rice Soup Copycat
- Panera Bread Baked Potato Soup Copycat
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
Tools I used to make the Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat Recipe:
- Immersion Blender – so convenient, makes it easy to puree food without having to add it to a blender.
- Dutch Oven – mine is from Le Creuset, but I also like this one and it’s reasonably priced.
Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat is the perfect recipe of your favorite creamy and cheesy soup, that you can now easily make at home.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 mins