Turkey Meatloaf is a quick and healthy dinner to prepare on busy weeknights. The Meatloaf is moist, juicy, and packed with amazing flavors and cheese!
Meatloaf is a fun and easy dish to prepare. You just mix together the ingredients, and dump them in the cooking pan, for the most delicious and satisfying meal. We already have a delicate and juicy Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf. Like the regular meatloaf, the turkey version is full of flavors but is on the healthier side.
Easy Turkey Meatloaf
This Turkey Meatloaf has all the flavors of a regular beef based meatloaf, but with a lot less calories and fats. The dish takes about an hour to make, and can be also very versatile. For example, you can add some veggies into it, such as spinach, to satisfy your taste for greens. Also, in this version, we used pepper jack cheese, which gives the meatloaf a moist, tender texture and a spicier kick.
The garlic and Italian seasoning herbs add just the right balance of flavor. This Turkey Meatloaf is an easy dinner, as it requires just a few ingredients. Topped off with the most delicious glaze, it has all the components to become the favorite go-to meal. It is recommended to eat it warm right after cooking or could be similarly tasty the next day as a cold meatloaf sandwich.
How to make the perfect Turkey Meatloaf?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine ground turkey, milk, egg, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, seasoning, and cheese in a large bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Next, grease a meatloaf pan lightly with some oil.
- Then, spoon the mixture into the loaf pan. Similarly, you can just shape it into a log and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 60 minutes, or until the internal temperature of meat is 160-165 degrees F. Spoon over the glaze onto the meatloaf midway through baking.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Turkey Meatloaf Recipe Tips:
- Both, the lean and regular ground turkey would work well. However, using the leaner option will result in a slightly denser meatloaf as it has less fat content.
- You can form the meatloaf up to 8 hours ahead, and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- If you don’t have a meatloaf pan, use a regular sheet pan, and assemble the meatloaf by hand.
- In addition, you can add some veggies in the mix if desired, such as spinach, finely diced carrots, etc.
- For the optimal taste, use fresh garlic. The canned one will not be just as good.
- Similarly, if you want to use a store bought BBQ sauce for topping, it will work as well.
Can I swap the meat to make the Meatloaf?
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK TURKEY MEATLOAF FOR?
Turkey meatloaf needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees F to be food safe. For a 2 pound meatloaf, baked at 350 degrees F, it should take approximately 1 hour. Similarly, if you use more than 2 pounds of meat, you won’t double your cooking time. Add approximately 30 minutes for each additional pound of turkey.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TURKEY MEATLOAF:
Some great suggestions are listed below:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Rice and Bean
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes
- Corn on the cob
- Oven Roasted Bok Choy
Tools I used to make this Turkey Meatloaf Recipe:
Turkey Meatloaf recipe step-by-step video:
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese (diced into small cubes or shredded)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Next, lightly grease a meatloaf pan with some oil and set aside. Similarly, you can make the meatloaf on a baking sheet, cover it with aluminum foil and lightly grease with oil. Set aside.
In a small bowl mix all the ingredients from the "Meatloaf Glaze" list until fully combined. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, milk, egg, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, dried parsley, Italian seasoning herbs, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix well until combined.
Add cheese and mix well until combined
Then, shape the mixture into a loaf like shape and transfer it to the meatloaf pan, or place it onto a baking sheet.
Bake for about 60 minutes, and midway through baking, spoon the "Meatloaf Glaze" on top of the meatloaf, distribute it evenly and bake for another 20-30 minutes. Or until the internal temperature of meat is 160-165 degrees F.
Once done, transfer meatloaf pan from the oven onto a cooling rack and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.