Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are covered in herbs, ground mustard, chili powder, paprika, and olive oil, before being air-fried to crispy perfection! These are also low-carb and great if you follow a Keto diet.
Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Recipe
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs will become your go-to meal during the busiest weeknights! Fresh thighs are rolled in olive oil then perfectly seasoned with onion powder, herbs, paprika, plus other spices.
After that, it’s air-fried until the surface is crispy while being perfectly done and juicy inside. Best of all, you only need 30 minutes to get dinner on the table.
These air-fried thighs are healthy, full of protein, and low-carb. They’re very kid-friendly, too, because they taste like baked or fried chicken— except you didn’t have to deal with all the grease and oil!
Is air-fried chicken healthy?
Yes! Actually, it’s one of the healthiest ways to enjoy chicken!
For one, we’re only using two tablespoons of olive oil for 7 to 8 pieces. All the flavor comes from herbs and spices, which barely have any calories. This dish loaded with protein but very low in calories, carbs, and fat. Also, you can enjoy it on a keto, gluten-free, and paleo diet!
What do you need to make Air Fryer Chicken Thighs?
- Chicken thighs: We’re using bone-in cuts with the skin on. Air-frying makes it so crispy!
- Olive oil: This allows our seasonings to stick to the surface, and encourages the skin and meat to become crispy.
- Seasonings: We’re packing flavor into every inch of the meat with a bold blend of onion powder and powdered onion, smoked paprika, ground cumin, fine-grated parmesan, Italian dried herbs, and chili powder.
More Air Fryer Recipes:
How do you make Air Fryer Chicken Thighs from scratch?
- Coat. First, toss all the pieces of meat in olive oil.
- Season. Next, dredge the oiled thighs in the seasonings, taking care to coat every part.
- Air-fry. Arrange the thighs in one layer, with the skin side facing down. Air-fry at 370F for 15 mins. Flip and continue air-frying for another 10 to 15 mins, checking for temperature by the 10-minute mark. Take them out once the internal temp hits 165F.
- Serve. Enjoy hot with a sprinkle of parsley and your favorite sauces on the side.
- Try other seasoning blends: Old Bay, Cajun, lemon pepper, and curry spices taste amazing in this recipe.
- Use drumsticks: You can use this recipe for drumsticks, too! Set to 390F and air-fry for 25 mins, flipping halfway.
- Glazed: Add a little honey or brown sugar to the seasonings, which will caramelize while being air-fried.
How do you make crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs?
If you want something closer to buttermilk fried chicken, it’s possible in the air-fryer, too! First, you’ll marinate the meat in buttermilk, ranch, and hot sauce overnight.
Then, you dredge them in seasoned flour, spray with a little oil, and air-fry to crispy perfection! For the complete recipe and cooking tips, check out our Air Fryer Fried Chicken.
At what temperature do you air fry chicken thighs?
We’re doing it a hot 370F. Make sure to preheat the basket for at least 15 minutes before placing the meat in there, so it starts cooking immediately.
How long does it take to cook chicken thighs in an air fryer?
It depends on several factors, such as the size of the pieces, how many you’re cooking at one, and whether they still have a bone or not. In general, however, plan for at least 30 minutes to fully air-fry 7 medium-sized pieces.
Can you put raw chicken in an air fryer?
Do you have to flip the chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, it’s a must. Without flipping the meat, you risk undercooking one side and overcooking – or even burning – the other side. Flipping halfway through allows all surfaces to come into contact with the heat evenly.
More Chicken Recipes:
What pairs well with Air Fryer Chicken Thighs:
These crispy, perfectly seasoned beauties are delicious with almost anything! Serve them with baked potatoes, salads, pasta, soup, or a couple of warm dinner rolls. And don’t forget the dips! Slather them in buffalo or BBQ sauce, dunk them in horseradish sauce, or dip them into this tangy honey mustard sauce.
How to store leftovers?
First, let all leftovers cool down prior to refrigerating. Then, transfer to a shallow container that’s air-tight. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, pop in a 400F air-fryer for 5 minutes or until hot.
- Reaching the correct internal temp is a must when air-frying raw meat. For these thighs, don’t take them out if the meat is less than 165F inside.
- Also, it is very important NOT TO forget to flip the meat in the middle of cooking! Otherwise, they may not be evenly done and crispy.
- DON’T OVERLAP the meat. They need to be in a single layer, so everything comes into contact with the hot air. If not, you’ll end up with soggy spots.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 7-8 chicken thighs (bone-in and skin on, you can also use chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian dried herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons very finely grated parmesan
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fresh parsley and dipping sauce for serving
- Preheat air fryer to 370 degrees F.
- Mix seasoning ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Add the seasoning to the chicken and toss to coat well.
- Place the thighs in a single layer in the air fryer basket, skin side down, and at least 1-2 inches apart, cook for 15 minutes.
- Flip and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F and the skin is crispy.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.